South Yorkshire Times September 13, 1947
Chapel Seating Help Denaby Stage First Final.
Last Saturdays Yorkshire Council championship final at Tickhill Square was a feather in Denaby and Cadeby’s cap. Whoever had been Hickleton’s opponents the match would have been at Denaby, “providing Hickleton reached the final can you accommodate the match?” was Council secretary Norman Stead’s message to the South Yorkshire club. Denaby, borrowing chapel forms and timber for extra seating replied in the affirmative.
It was Denaby’s first Council final and the club officials took pride in their letter they had received this week from Hull congratulating them on their arrangements and expressing the hope that a game may be arranged between the two clubs at some future date. Their pride is fully justified. The match attracted a 1500 Gate and the club are happy that everyone of those 1500 spectators had a seat. They provided additional seating by borrowing timber to complete the new seating in the tea pavilion enclosure – unfortunately the timber has had to be returned! – And forms from Epworth Methodist Hall and used part of the playing area at the football end to accommodate overflow.
Denaby had a large crowd for a Mexborough Derby two years ago, but the receipts of £55 2s were a record. Denaby take 10% of the gross proceeds and after expenses have been met the balances shared equally between the Council and the two competing sides. At the close the Championship Cup was presented to Hull by Vice President G. Blackburn and the runners-up trophy to Hickleton. Hickleton’s England bowler Tom Mick Mitchell expressed thanks to Derby.