Denaby Utd – Denaby 4 Leicester Fosse Res 0 – Leicester Fosse Well Beaten

8 December 1907

Mexborough and Swinton Times December 28, 1907

Denaby Again Victorious
Leicester Fosse Well Beaten.

Denaby United 4 Leicester Fosse Res 0

Flushed with the success of Christmas Day, the same Denaby team which had beaten Mexboro’ Town, faced Leicester Fosse on Thursday before a moderate Boxing Day crowd, and succeeded in beating them soundly. Leicester Fosse arrived with nine men, Blessington and Shanks failing to appear until the second half.

Kicking towards the Colliery, Denaby at once began to take charge of the game, and made things hot for Starbuck, who, however, played a splendid goal. Early in the game Lindley found him wanting, and scored with a beautiful shot, while Blackbun a little later got in. even a better shot, but found Starbuck ready for him. However, the second goal came before long, for though the Turners tried several times to get by Ramsden they were hardly good enough, and at the other end. Dyal put through for Denaby, a shot from the same player a  moment later, going very close, so close, in fact, that there was a loud appeal for a goal which was unsuccessful.

Though Mackie and Keogh were playing fine football they could not keep out the ubiquitous Denaby forwards, and as the interval was neared Dyal put on h third goal. In the second half, with Leicester playing at full strength, the game was more keenly contested, though Denaby were still markedly superior. Starbuck was soon in trouble again with a lovely shot from Blackburn, which he cleared splendidly. Shanks and Blessingtcn tried hard to get through, but Hofton was in the way, and then Dyal cleverly performed his “hat trick” by placing well wide of Starbuck.                                            

Denaby distinguished themselves by tricky play on the left, but there was very little point in the shooting. Once the whole line made a promising movement, which, however, was spoilt by a bad centre from Ball. Nice work by Warburton let the Leicester forwards in, but Denaby were soon back again, and with the Fosse goalkeeper out of the way. Dyal was just beaten in a race for the ball by Keogh, who kicked behind from an unproductive corner. A foul by Marshall on Bickerstaffe gave Leicester an opportunity of reducing the lead of which they did not avail themselves.

Speight took a pot shot at, goal and Nimrod and Blackburn, neatly robbing Warburton, kept the play in the visitor quarters. The game was finished in semi-darkness.


Denaby United ………………….. 4 goals

Leicester Fosse Res………………0 goals