Denaby Utd – Denaby 3 Worksop 1 – 37 Goal United Top of Midland League

September 1956

South Yorkshire Times September 22, 1956

37 goal Denaby United move to the top of the Midland League

Following Worksop’s refusal to agree to an evening kick-off Denaby United were engaged in their first afternoon Midland league fixture of the season on Saturday, – and the prophets were indeed confounded, for contrary to expectations there was a record “gate” of close on 2000!

It is an disputed fact, of course, that for several seasons evening kick-off at the beginning of the season have made a tremendous difference to attendances. Denaby United officials must be very delighted with this turn of events and for a performance which could not have been better timed. United won 3-1 and it might just as easily have been another one of those high-scoring games which have made them leading league scorers. The mitigating factor was luck – and that’s one of those unpredictable factors. It was a particularly fine performance in view of the team upset caused by the absence of Cliff Martin (injured) and Gillott. Clark moved to left off, Law came in at outside right and Duggan was back at centre forward for the first time this season.

It was the same Ron Duggan who has been one of United’s leading scorers since he joined the club, the same worrier, the same opportunities. And what an excellent servant to Denaby is Mervyn law! He never lets the club down and how he deserves a goalie scored on Saturday – the last of the three and the best of the bunch. This

Into a Early Stride

Worksop, who with their former League players and there in the two unbeaten record of had quite a buildup as a possible top-flight Midland League club this season, got into their early stride and maintained an impetus which gave them a goal, scrambled in by centre forward Sutton after 21 minutes

Bert the roar went soaring over the crags 12 minutes later when Southall, prompting magnificently, lobbed upfield a ball onto which Duggan ran with perfect precision. As Worksop goalkeeper Wilson run out to challeng him, Duggan headed the ball over Wilson’s head and all Wilson could do was to watch the ball bob elusively and tantalisingly into the back of the net. Revel’s lightning burst to kick off the line seconds later – when Duggan went within an ace of scoring again – had a jet aircraft flavour about it this

Snapped up a Chance

it was one all at half-time. The second half Worksop began a long shot bombardment, but it was Egan who snapped of a chance in the 64 minute to put Denaby a goal ahead, and Law crowned the afternoon’s work, following a beautiful Duggan pass to crash in a low shot to score 3 minutes from time

it was full of action, this game, but the outstanding recollections will be of the goals that “got away!” Few goalmouths will bear such a charmed life at Tickhill Square this season than Worksop’s bore on Saturday!