Denaby Utd – Denaby 4, Appleby & Frodingham 1 – Visitors were Game

11 October 1947

Mexborough and Swinton Times October 11, 1947

Denaby Won in a Canter but Their Visitors were Game

Denaby United 4, Appleby and Frodingham 1

This second F.A. Cup round was an easy verdict for United. Success came to the more experienced campaigners, but Appleby were goal-hunting to the final whistle. There was quite a cup-tie atmosphere about Tickhill Square, infused principally by the Appleby supporters with their screeching rattles and blue and white rosettes. Denaby’s only headache, which, as it turned out. was dispelled without an aspirin, was the difficulty Sheffielder Cowley had in getting through to Denaby. Asquith was already preparing to do battle in his stead when he arrived.

Counter Attractions.

It was a glorious day. Pity there were so many attractive League matches in the district. as the ‘gate’ suffered in consequence. Not a few had gone to see Attwell, giving a first-rate account of himself in Burnley’s half-back line at Bramall Lane.

But there was a good deal of enthusiasm. Not that there was a great deal to be enthusiastic about. It was a pale shadow of cup football as we have come to expect it. But it was fought with enthusiasm to the final whistle, and to Appleby and Frodingham go full marks for that. They had a lively forward line in which Fell, centre-forward, Clarvis and King notably excelled, but they were beaten by Denaby’s first-time tackling.

The Denaby forward line, for their part, that, in consequence most of the danger came In the Appleby goal-mouth. Moseley did a workmanlike job of his task at centre-forward, Killourhy was, a always, marhal of attack. Strachan worked hard on the right wing and the quicksilver Windle found no opposing half-back on Saturday to dim his livewire deeds. Osborne Is a most useful. acquisition to the Denaby forward line—and he knows how to shoot.

First Goal.

First goal was delayed until the 14th minute, when Killourhy pushed the ball through to Moseley, and the latter scored smartly. Twenty-one minutes later Killourhy fired at Lamming, in the Appleby goal, the latter pushed the ball into the air and English tried to clear on the line, but the ball had crossed over. Thereafter, up to the halftime whistle, Denaby did everything but increase their lead.

Moseley had bad luck with a lobbed ball over the goalkeeper’s head, then a defender cleared on the line, Strachan went wide and Killourhy hit the crossbar from 20 yards. Appleby had lost none of their pre-interval enthusiasm in the second half and threatened trouble, but Denaby got two more goals, through Osborne and Moseley before Fell scored in consolation for the visitors. The game was most pleasantly clean throughout the whole 90 minutes.