Denaby Utd – Denaby 4 Bradford P.A. 2 – Penalty goal for Bobby Southall!

February 1957

South Yorkshire Times, February 23, 1957

Penalty goal for Bobby Southall!

Denaby United 4 Bradford Park Avenue 2

There must have been quite a number of spectators at Tickhill Square on Saturday who felt rather sympathetic towards Bradford Park Avenue goalkeeper, Malan, as he got into position to attempt to stop a penalty shot from Denaby United “penalty king”, Bobby Southall, writes Ken Hollingsworth.

For as many Midland league keepers have discovered, stopping a Southall penalty is like trying to stop an express train, and like for other keepers before him this season, Malan was beaten. Earlier this season Southall scored four penalty goals in three matches!

The Beginning

Such was the beginning of Denaby’s 4-2 defeat of Park Avenue on Saturday. It was a game crammed with excitement. Referee Goldson did not find many occasions which called for the use of his whistle. Apart from the high standard of football there was the added attraction of the Newark Pipe Band, whose kilted drummers, trumpeters and accordionists looking very colourful against the drab background of modern turf gave a performance before the kick-off and again at half-time.

It was not long after Southall’s goal that Denaby were back on the attack. Martin, cheated of one chance, collected the ball and it was only when he was dangerously near the Bradford goal, and a goal seemed inevitable that right back Corkill managed to clear.

A Bradford breakaway on the 22nd minute took Denaby by surprise for just long enough to give inside right Fawcett time to race through and level the scores, but after more high-pressure attacks from Denaby, Martin got the chance he had been waiting for, and, leaping high above a crowd of defenders, he headed a centre from Egan into the far corner of the net.

Musical Interlude

After a musical interval, Denaby met with formidable opposition from Park Avenue.

Malan put up an excellent display of keeping – turning aside power packed shops which came at him from all directions from attacking forwards and halfbacks. Also worthy of mention were Malan’s “guardian angels” – full back Corkill and Hindle, who showed some excellent touches.

After 70 minutes, there was a spell of goals, three being scored in three minutes. Centre half Barnes, playing up with the forwards, raised through to net Denaby’s third in the 70th minute. In the 71st minute centre forward Martin scored his 2nd to make it 4-1, and within a minute Park Avenue’s right-winger, Hirst, went through to net his team second, and the last goal of the match.

The remaining 20 minutes, although goalless, were certainly not dull, and a battle of strength and strategy raised in the mud until referee Goldson blew for time.