Mexborough and Swinton Times September 9, 1887
Fashionable Wedding at Denaby Main
Wednesday was quite a red letter day at Denaby Main on the occasion of the marriage of Miss Hannah Mary Slater the daughter of Mr John Slater, Reresby Arms, Denaby Main, to Mr George Watts, youngest son of Mr George Watts, farmer, of Tupton, near Chesterfield
Very early in the morning it was easy to tell someone usual event was soon to occur, all the village appearing to be unusually lively. The morning was rather unpropitious, but towards
The clouds began to break, and at 12 o’clock the sun shone brightly, adding much to the joys of the wedding party.
The wedding ceremony was announced take place at 1230 at Mexborough Church, and punctually at that time the wedding guests began to assemble. The first arrival at the church – which was crowded with a large number of Denaby and Mexborough resident, as also were the approaches – were the bridegroom, Mr George Watts and two little girls, Miss Maria Biggs of Denaby Main and Miss Sarah Childs, Mexborough, each of whom were prettily attired in white dresses trimmed with blue sashes, beering baskets in their hands containing choice flowers, which they afterwards distributed on the walks on leaving the church.
The next arrival Mr Edward Watts, brother of the bridegroom and Miss Sensechshall of Conisbrough; Miss Froggatt (niece of the bridegroom) of Whittington Moor, Mr TH Austin of the Prince of Wales Inn, Chesterfield; Miss Venables of Mexborough; Mr John Slater, brother of the bride; Mrs Slater, mother of the bride; Miss Braithwaite of Denaby; Mrs Froggatt of Whittington Moor (sister to the bridegroom; and Mrs Brooks of West Melton.
The last carriage and pair of greys brought the bride Miss Slater, who certainly looked very pretty, and worn a dress of helitrope satin, and a handsome white tulle veil with a beautiful wreath of orange blossoms. Her bouquet was composed of orchards and stephanotis. Each of the bridesmaids wore cream dresses.
On arriving church the wedding March was played on the organ by Miss Langton of Denaby.
After the choir of the Denaby Main Mission Church, under the superintendence of the Rev William Mitchell Probert, curate, sang the hymn, “Be present holiest spirit, to bless them as they kneel.”
The ceremony was conducted by the vicar, the Rev HL Ellershaw, the choir singing the responses with much vigour.
After the ceremony and the singing of the well-known hymn, “How welcome was the call,” by the choir, the party retired to the vestry.
Leaving the church the usual and time-honoured custom of rice throwing was indulged in by the crowd, who appeared to have rightly enjoyed the proceedings.
On arriving at the Reresby Arms, the bride and bridegroom were overwhelmed with the usual congratulation, after which a sumptuous wedding breakfast was partaken of. The breakfast which was beautifully arranged in the Long room was off a rich church description, everything in season having been provided.
The happy pair left the Reresby Arms at 3.30 en route to Mexborough station, amid showers of rice and hearty congratulations of friends and relatives.