Denaby Utd – Frickley 1 Denaby 2 – Poor Stuff – Frickley Still Sliding

October 1936

Mexborough and Swinton Times October 2, 1936

Poor Stuff
Frickley Still Sliding
Denaby’s Reward

Frickley 1 Denaby United 2

The game at South Elmsall on Monday which give Denaby their second win and Frickley their eighth consecutive league defeat, was one of the poorest which has been seen at Westfield Lane for many years.

What little quality was display came from Denaby, what a better understanding and ball control than their neighbours, but the general play was of such inferior standard that the handful of spectators were not left guessing why both teams are at the foot of the table. Generally had the reward for their opportunism by taking two chances in the first of but that they were able to hold onto the lead was due to causes, the brilliance of Tremain and a Frickley attack which had neither sting nor cohesion.

Greater precision

Denaby were not impressive, but they passed with more precision than Frickley, and their positional play was superior, while their defence had little difficulty in mastering a ragged attack. Ellis, the former Selby Town centre forward, was a dangerous leader, but Eddie Fleetwood was the best forward, most of the Denaby attacks developing from his scheming.

After the first minute, when Love, with only Tremain to beat, shot straight at the goalkeeper, there were few thrills. Denaby always impressed as the side more likely to score and it was no surprise when they took the lead after 19 minutes. Parry who had dashed up following a centre from scales, having merely to tap the ball into the net.

A smart move by Fleetwood produced a second goal after of an hour, the inside forward hitting the ball with the back of his foot for it to roll slowly inside the post, to the surprise of Shields, who was unprepared.

With the Frickley halves improved beyond recognition after the interval, a two-goal lead appeared insufficient, but easy chances were missed before Chadwick scored with a fine drive 15 minutes from the end.

The bad marksmanship persisted to the last minute in which Healy blazed over with an empty goal before him.