1873, August 23 rd
British Archaeological Association’s Congress
The 13th annual congress of the British archaeological Association was resumed yesterday. There was a varied and interesting programme, and a large number of the members attended. Until the afternoon everything passed off as pleasantly as could be desired, but between three and four o’clock an unfortunate carriage accident occurred, which cause considerable alarm, and materially marred the enjoyment of the subsequent proceedings.
The party, which numbered about 150 persons, left the Victorian station, at 10 o’clock, by special train, for Conisborough, where they were joined by Lord Denman and a number of ladies and gentlemen from Rotherham. Conisbrough Castle and the church. – The ruins of the ancient Castle at Conisbrough were inspected, under the guidance of Mr. E. Roberts, who gave a minute description of the architectural and other features of the buildings.
Seated as it was on nearly the highest ground of the neighbourhood Conisborough castle occupied a site remarkably well chosen, and one which did much credit to the skill and military genius of the period in which it was erected.
The castle was built by Isabel, sole daughter and heiress of William de Warren, the third Lord of that name.
The church, over which also Mr. Roberts conducted the excursionist, was one of the Norman period, a very interesting to the archaeological student. It was probably built between the years 1187 and 1190. On the motion of Mr. R. M. Phillips second by Dr. Black a vote of thanks was passed.