Denaby Utd- Denaby 4 York City 3 – Burkinshaw Returns

3 December 1922

Mexborough & Swinton Times, December 23, 1922

Seven Goals at Denaby
United Hard Won Victory.
Burkinshaw Returns to Score

Denaby United 4 York City 3

A sparkling game was provided at Denaby on Saturday when York city made their first appearance there, and put up one of the best games seen for many weeks. The afternoon was fine and a good crowd assembled to receive excellent value for their money. Goals were plentiful and sevenhad been registered before the final whistle sounded. It was a game which included some surprises, and the issue fluctuated a great deal. Not until the whistle sounded could Denaby be sure of their victory, for it was quite in the running that York might regain level terms or even take the lead again. Denaby putup agreat defence in the last half-hour, and it was needed all the time to keep the energetic York forwards in check.

The game was not very old when to Denaby’s surprise, the visitors got a goal, which was followed very closely by the equaliser. The next minute brought York second goal, and Denaby turnaround with a deficit. Denaby surprised the visitors by putting on a couple of goals very quickly, and taking the lead for the first time in the game. York drew level again, but Denaby replied with another goal, and they managed to all the lead until time arrived.

Denaby field the team selected, but York made one change, Lickley coming in at centre half for Smith. “Jos” Burkinshaw was greeted with applause when he turned out to play for his old side again. Burkinshaw was very popular with the Denaby crowd last season and his return to the amber and black colours was very welcome.

Denaby won the toss, and were early attacking. The forwards combined well, and worked their way down the field very smartly, to find a very capable and strong defence ready for them. York checked the first rush, butCowan came nearto scoring a lightning goal with a tremendous shot from midfield, the ball going just wide. Returning the ball from a York attack, Dick Coope tried a long shot, which went straight into Hendry┬┤s hands from three quarters of the way up the field.

The game had been in progress just long enough to enable Denaby to realise that York were smarter set than they had credited them for, and Denaby had quite a lot to do to look after the City’s brilliant left wing. Harron the left-winger, was one of the most dangerous of the York team and he took a great deal of holding. Some beautiful work was seen on the left wing between Harron and his partner, Lemons, and one ofthe raidsraised by these players was assuming a dangerous appearance when Cowan, but then with no little energy and judgement and got the ball away very neatly. All through the game Cowan was of the greatest assistance to the defence, and was looking after forwards very smartly. He played a very fine game, and was well supported by colleagues in the half back line, Reed and Peters.

When the Denaby right wing got really going, some very nice play was seen, and from a fine centre by Hamilton, Bretnall drove hard against the post. Halfway through the first half the first really dangerous Denaby attack was seen, and the goal should certainly have followed. In attempting a clearance in a desperate situation, Thorpe handled and York were penalised. Cowan took the kick and, much to the disappointment of the crowd, sent the ball high over the bar with a drive which, had it been better directed, would have hopelessly beaten Hendry. 20 min passed before the first call came. The visitors right wing was responsible for the movement, and Ekinshad to save a hotshot, falling at full-length. While he was on the ground WOODS
secured the ball and drove it into the net with a quick effort. The reverse aroused Denaby, who put into pretty work, which had its reward a few minutes later, in BRETNALL scoring a brilliant goal. Before the interval, however, Denaby were down again, Harron, giving a beautiful pass to MOULT, who scored.