Denaby Utd – Apr 7th – Denaby 2 Gainsborough Trin 0 – Struggling up the Heights

April 1923

Denaby´s Progress
Struggling up the Heights
Useful lift from Trinity

Denaby United 2 Gainsborough Trinity 0

Denaby United: Mitchell, Haslam and Coope; Kennedy, Cowan and Hill; Bentley, Bretnall, Godfrey, Burkinshaw and Powell

Gainsborough Trinity: Anderson; Bennet and Bullivant; Hoyland, Price and McCormick; Williamson, Britt, Copley, Damms and Shearman.

Denaby United, at home to Gainsborough Trinity last Saturday, proved too strong a combination for their visitors, were pushed well back into their own half at the start, and played a defensive game throughout. Play was in the Gainsborough goalmouth. Most of the time, with the Denaby forwards, missing sitters are putting in really meritorious shots, by way of a change, for Anderson to save brilliantly. Thus it came about that, though they had all the play, Denaby failed to open their account until 5 min from the interval, and subsequently added only one goal. Anderson in the gays recall, was positively brilliant. Bert for his superb form, maladroit as the home forwards were in their finishing efforts, they must have ended the day with a heavier bag.


Denaby had to do without Hamilton, Peters and Taylor, all injured. Bentley was introduced from the reserves to deputise for the winger, and his display was a memorable one. There was no more outstanding player on the field. His clever runs, he´s beautiful centre´s, and from time to time, is dangerous shots, rejoice the heart of the crowd, and would have done credit to Hamilton himself. If this kilnhurst youth could display such form consistently he will be well worth his place in Midland league football.


Kennedy played right half, and Haslam right full-back. The weather held fair, and the ground was in good condition.


Josh Burkinshaw got going after Haslam had repelled an opening attack by Gainsborough, but he was blown off side. A shot from Powell went over and Bentley raced down and beat Bullivant, and sent in a remarkable shot that went just wide


Hamilton´s deputy earned the crowds further appreciation with a capital centre, which Anderson managed to fist away from Burkinshaw´s head. Cowan, trying the effect of a long-range effort, had his attempt charged down. Now the Gainsborough forwards gave signs of life. Britt centered, and the ball was passed out to Shearman, but Mitchell had no difficulty in dealing with the situation; and we saw the Gainsborough goal experiencing a series of narrow escapes.the ball was bouncing about the goalmouth, Powell, was limping, managed to get to it, but he could not turn the 2 yards chance to account.


Joby Godfrey and Cowan then try to send the ball all the way, but alas the visiting defenders succeeded in shaking off the persistent Denaby forwards.their relief however was a short one; and got forgotten a fine shot which Anderson saved most cleverly at the expense of a corner. Afterwards, Bretnall, beating the backs, gave the Gainsborough goalkeeper another chance to distinguish himself.

Josh, dashing out, made a promising opening for himself, but over eagerness let him down.


A fine shot from Geordie was fielded smartly, and Anderson kicked away, giving Williamson and Britt a chance of getting past Hill, which they did eventually, but Williamson shot wide.


.Anderson deflected for a corner a really great long shot from Callan, which seems certain to pass under the bar. Two fruitless corner followed, and Bentley was cheered when he cut in and tested Anderson with a rare handful. Then, 5 min before the interval, POWELL, dashed into the goalmouth and opened Denaby score.


The second half was much like the first, for, though at first we had a glimpse of the visitors disposition to be aggressive, it was soon evident they were not powerful enough to carry their will into effect. Bentley and Bretnall were soon busy, and Burkinshaw was still on the alert. A dash by Powell was followed by some worry for MacCormick and Bullivant at the hands of Denaby´s right-wing pair. After 7 min, the home side were awarded a penalty for a foul on Bretnall, who took the cake, but his shot went wide. Godfrey putting a smack ground on the run, but Anderson gathered neatly and cleared. After 23 minutes, COWAN scored, Denaby second goal, heading in from their 13th corner.