Conisbrough Youth Accused Of Murder

November 1967

South Yorkshire Times November 11, 1967

Note: Names have been changed

Conisbrough Youth Accused Of Murder

A 17-year-old labourer accused of murdering his step-grandfather stated that everything seemed to go haywire after an argument over money they had had in the bedroom of their Cardiff lodgings, said Mr. John Leek prosecuting at Cardiff yesterday (Thursday).

Malcolm Stanley, Elder Grove, Conisbrough, was charged with the murder of Thomas John Bradley (64) at Cardiff on October 27th.

Mr Bradley, who lived at Worthing Crescent, who Windmill Estate, Conisbrough, was at the time lodging at Richards Terrace, Cardiff.

At the conclusion of the case Stanley was remanded In custody until today (Friday) by Mr John Rutter (Stipendiary Magistrate) so that the arrangement could be made to commit him for trial.

Mr Leck, for the Director of Public Prosecutions, said Stanley left Doncaster to work in Cardiff and shared a first floor room at Richards Terrace with his step- grandfather, a general foreman with a firm at Cardiff Docks.

Landlady’s Discovery

He said that Mr. Bradley went to bed at 10.30 in the night of the alleged offence. The next day Mrs. Bishop, the landlady, entered the room and saw blood splattered about. There was a bundle of bed clothes on the floor from which a human foot was showing.

She called the police and Inspector Alan Tooby went to the house and found Bradley’s body. He had died from haemorrhage,due to stab wounds to the neck, said Mr. Leck.

Mr. Leck alleged that in a statement Stanley stated that he had taken about £12 to £15 from Bradley‘s wallet and was going to put it back after he got his first week’s wages, He had taken from the Bishops a ring and cross and chain and sent them to his girlfriend.

The statement  continued: “John kept on about me taking money from the Bishops and calling me a liar. I kept on saying I hadn’t.

“Then me or John said something and he smacked me across my face. It was still dark, pitch black. I could see his face, his nose and things just seem to go haywire then.”

In his statement Stanley said he put on his clothes and ran from the house.

Five Fatal Wounds

Doctor W.R. Lester James, Home Office pathologist, said the cause of Bradley’s death was haemorrhage due to stab wounds in the neck. A sharp long pointed instrument had been used to cause injury and also “heavy force” was used in all five fatal wounds.

Detective Inspector David Davies, Cardiff C.I.D., said that together with Detective Sergeant Charles Ward he saw Stanley at Doncaster, Stanley was alleged to have said, “As I have already told the police and arrested me, I don’t know what happened. All I remember is about two or three in the morning when John elbowed me and kept on about the money. He slapped me and I lost my temper.”