A Back in The Making – “Billy” McCracken’s Latest Deal,

January 1929

Mexborough and Swinton Times January 25, 1929

Arthur Rodgers
A Back in The Making
“Billy” McCracken’s Latest Deal,

Denaby’s clever young right back, Arthur Rodgers, was transferred to Hull on Friday, Rodgers. is another Kilnhurst product. He is son of Arthur Rodgers, the Mexboro’ Town forward of about 20 years ago. Arthur started his football with the Kilnhurst Parish Church club and after a season went to Ashwood Road. Later he returned to Kilnhurst to play for the working men’s club team. His play attracted the note of several clubs —including Mexboro’ who tried, but did not persevere with him—and about t mouths ago Denaby engaged him. His development was quick especially this season and soon he drew the attention of League clubs. He had a month’s trial with Middlesbro’ and was tried by West Ham and Chesterfield.

Rodgers will not be 21 till next month. He stands 5ft. 811. and weighs 12st. He is at home in either back position and on several occasions has played centre forward.

The transfer was completed on Friday by Mr. Wm. McCracken, of Hull, and Messrs. W. _Astbury and J. Hancock, of Denaby. Denaby were loath to part with Rodgers but, following their usual custom, they did not stand in the way of a player’s advancement. At present they are unwilling to publish the amount of the transfer fee.

“Billy” McCracken is the old Newcastle back, the man who made the offside law count in football. It is particularly significant that Rodgers should have attracted his notice: if McCracken doesn’t know a good back when he sees one, no manager does. Rodgers has frequently received special mention in our columns this season for his cool positional play, ready resource, sure tackling and kicking and shrewd placing. We anticipate a successful career for him in the higher grades of football.

Rodgers did not turn out for his new club last Saturday.


From Wikipedia:

Arthur Rodgers 

Hull City

He signed for Hull City in 1928, making 67 League appearances before being released at the end of the 1931–32 season.[2]

Doncaster Rovers

Doncaster signed him from Welsh club, Merthyr Town of the Southern League for the 1933–34 season.[3] He made his first appearance the following season in a 2–0 home win against Southport on 4 September 1934. His only goal for the club was the significant winner in a 2–1 victory at Wrexham on 27 April 1935,[3] which clinched the Division 3 (North) title, winning promotion for Doncaster to Division 2.[4]

Rodgers was a regular feature in the side, with a few periods of competition with other full-backs. He played every league and FA Cup game in 1937–38. At the start of the following season, Albert Walker, a left−back, arrived from West Ham as part of an exchange for Arthur Banner, and replaced Rodgers a few games into the season. He then went on to make a few appearances as right-back, his last game being against Halifax Town on 18 October. Rodgers retired at the end of the season after a total of 183 league and cup games, and that one goal.[3]