Another Colliery Accident – Herbert Jepson

September 1915

Another Colliery Accident
Fatality in the Cadeby Main mine

An accident occurred at the Cadeby main colliery. On Friday, noon, Herbert Williams Jepson, miner, age 52, of 67 Barnborough Street, Denaby main, been buried by a fall of roof and dying shortly afterwards

An inquest was held in the Denaby Institute on Monday by Mr Frank Allen, when, after hearing evidence, a verdict of “accidental death” was returned.

Patrick Dondon, Denaby, said he was working with the deceased in number 82 Stall, in the Western district of the mine on Friday last. When the accident occurred the deceased was engaged in “holing” and was in a standing position. He had done the holing about 6 feet round the face, and he had set two sprags. One of the sprags was about a foot from the loose end, and the other sprag about 4 feet to the left. Without the slightest warning, a piece of coal came straight over, burying deceased up to his shoulders. Witness summoned assistance, and deceased was got out about 10 min afterwards. He was then breathing, but he died about a quarter of an hour later. Witness said he had always found deceased a steady and experienced worker, and he testify to the fact that upon the morning that he met his death two sprags were set. It appears that only one sprag had been recovered, and witness said yet seen nothing of the second sprag, although he was certain it was set.

Solomon Riley, Conisbrough, said he had examine the place since the accident occurred, and had seen nothing of a second Spragg.

Isaac Smith, a deputy at the colliery, said he arrived on the scene about 10 min after the accident occurred. Deceased had then been extricated from underneath the fall. Witness helped to remove the falling coal (about two tubs) and the found one sprag. Witness heard nothing about a prop having been knocked out. He said it was possible that deceased might have made use of a sleeper in place of a sprag, although he admitted there was always a plentiful supply of timber.

The coroner said that where holing was being carried out. It was an understood thing to put up props are sprags at regular intervals as soon as practicable. It was laid down in one of the bylaws of the colliery that the distance between sprags should be not less than 6 feet, although, of course, there was nothing against the workmen set him more than that number to each 6 feet if he considered fit. Even if the possibility that only one sprag been set along that part that had been holed were found to be correct, there had been no contravention of the bye-laws. The only question was whether there was a plentiful supply of timber, and he thought that had been answered by the witness who stated that there was always a good supply. He expressed the opinion that that was one of those accidents that could not have been prevented. A verdict as stated, was returned.