Another Pit Fatality – Miner Buried At Cadeby – Killed In Three Seconds.

April 1909

Mexborough and Swinton Times April 4, 1909

Another Pit Fatality.
Miner Buried At Cadeby.
Killed In Three Seconds.

On Wednesday evening, in the Institute, Denaby Main, Mr. D. Wightman held an enquiry into the circumstances surrounding the death of Joseph Wilkinson (34), married, a miner, lodging in Braithwell Street, who was killed whilst working in Cadeby Colliery on Momday, through a sudden fail of roof, which buried the deceased.

Evidence of identification was given by Annie Wilkinson, wife of the deceased, who, she said, was 34 years of age and was a miner, employed in the Cadeby Colliery. He had been a miner all his working life and was a healthy man. He was working on the afternoon shift on Monday, the day he was killed.

Timothy Hurley said he was Wilkinson’s filler on Monday, which was the first day they had worked together. They went down the pit, about 1.45 p.m., and the accident happened about 5.40. Deceased was getting coal off the face. Witness had just finish filling a tub, and was two or three yards from the deceased when stones came suddenly from the root, falling on the deceased. Directly after another fall came and completely buried him “out of sight.” It all happened within three seconds.

Witness got help from the next stall, and ‘deceased extricated about’ nine o’clock. After the first fall witness heard the deceased say, ‘Oh, dear.” He never spoke after. The fall gave no warning, whatever, and Wilkinson had no chance to get away.

In answer to the Inspector, witness said he heard no “weighting” of the roof. As far as he could see it was perfectly safe for them to work there before the fall came. There was plenty of timber about. Deceased had said nothing about the roof being likely to come down, and witness was not afraid to work there

James Springthorpe, pit deputy, said visited the place on the accident about 12.40 p.m. the day shift was there at work and “knocked off” just before 2 o’clock. Witness examined the place was again the day after the accident, and said that in his opinion the fall came from a slip in the roof, which they knew of, though the failure to set more timber was not answerable for the accident. He did not think there was any neglect on the part of the deceased is regarded setting timber. If there was any neglect it was because he still when he did. If witness had seen him there he was told the deceased to work at the end of the coal, not on the top of the fall that had previously taken place stop

and answer to the Inspector, witness said from the previous experience of the deceased working he formed the opinion that he was a good, careful man, and had always appeared to be a steady practical man. Witness would have had no hesitation said him the most dangerous part of the pit.

The coroner said he did not think there was any blame attaching to the poor fellow. If he did make a very slight mistake in standing where he did, he had paid the penalty for it.

A verdict of “Accidental death” was returned.

There were present at the enquiry, Mr Mellors, H.M.Inspector of mines, and Mr H.S. Witty, representing the Colliery Company