Buried In Sight Of His Brother – Cadeby Filler’s Sad Death

October 1910

Mexborough & Swinton Times – Saturday 01 October 1910

Buried In Sight Of His Brother.

Cadeby Filler’s Sad Death

On Friday afternoon Mr. Kenyon Parker held the third inquiry relative to the series of fatal colliery accident that occurred in the Mexborough district the previous Tuesday

In this case the victim with John Armishaw (25) a filler, of 125 Tickhill St, Denaby, who died in the Fullerton Hospital on Thursday from the effects of injuries sustained through being knocked down by a fall of coal in the Cadeby Colliery on Tuesday.

Deceased brother was an eyewitness of the accident.

Herbert Armishaw. of 125, Tickhill Street, collier, brother of deceased, gave evidence of identification and said his brother had been working at the Cadeby Colliery for five or six months, but had been working at collieries all his life. He died on Thursday. at the Fullerton Hospital, after getting hurt at the Cadeby Colliery the previous Tuesday at 4.30. He was hurt by a fall of coal from the face. Deceased was filling a tub and wanting a better shovel he went to find one. An soon as he went a fall of coal came. Witness heard it. At the time deceased was working about 9 yards from witness, was working with him. It was a big “bump” and his brother shouted “Help, quick; come to me!”

Witness went and found him under the fall of coal, one large lump, about 4 feet wide, 9 inches thick and 7 feet in length was upon him. His head and shoulders were not buried and witness put a prop under and went for assistance. With the aid of the man from the next place he was got out. He was conscious when got out, and told them where he had been hit. He was carried out of the pit on a stretcher, seen by a doctor at the pithead, and sent to the hospital.

Witness saw him at the hospital on Thursday morning when the doctor brought them word to go and see him as he had not long to live. The fall broke two ribs.

On the Tuesday they have been working two hours when the fall occurred. There had been no previous bump or weighting. The deputy came round less than 10 minutes after the accident happened. When the deceased went for a better shovel he went towards the coal. Witness was responsible for the timbering of the place and it was all right. Witness had had nine years-experience at the coalface.

The coroner: was there anything to make you think that this bump was coming? Had you any warning? – No.

Replying to the Inspector, witness said there was a sprag set to the piece of coal that came out. The bump came over it. There are plenty of sprags.

Miss Jessie Helena Stead, charge nurse at the Fullerton Hospital, said the deceased died in her presence at 4.10 on Thursday afternoon. He was admitted on Tuesday afternoon, suffer from fractured ribs and other injuries. He gradually got worse and died from his injuries.

Mr A. H.  Barnard: had he received first aid treatment? – Yes.

Tom Ross of 14, Tickhill Square, Denaby Main, a deputy at Cadeby Colliery, said he examined the place where the accident occurred at 12.45 on Tuesday afternoon. He found it as far as he could tell, perfectly safe, and he had no fault to find with the timbering. It was not possible to tell when bumps come or what they would do.

Samuel Webster, of 19, Ivanhoe Road, Conisbrough, said deceased was lying in the gate when he saw him. Witness examined him and asked him where he was hurt and he replied “the chest,” witness came to the conclusion that his ribs were injured and rendered him first-aid and telephoned to the doctor at the pit top. The coal which fell was a big piece. He had no fault to find with the timbering, but thought it would have been better had there been another prop in one place.

Replying to the Inspector, witness said there might have been a sprag out to the particular piece of coal that fell, but he did not see.

A verdict of “Accidental death” was returned.

Mr Mellors, H M Inspector of mines and Mr A H Barnard (representing the Colliery) were present at the enquiry