Cadeby Disaster Victim – Steadman, (Young) George

September 1912

Mexborough & Swinton Times, September 21 st 1912.

The Cadeby Disater.

Mine Giving Up It´s Dead.

Four More Bodies Recovered.

The delicate and drawn out task, so capably undertaken by the rescue parties in the Cadeby mine, is now within sight of completion. This week four more bodies have been recovered. The first of the four brought to the surface was that of Mr Herbert Cusworth (39), afternoon under-manager, of Cadeby Villas, Conisbrough, whose remains were recovered on Wednesday.

The following night three more of the victims were removed to the pit-top. On Thursday the remains were identified as those of :-

George Hindson ( 25 ), dataller, of Cadeby Village.

George Steadman alias Young ( 31 ), dataller, of 36 Blythe Street, Denaby Main,

and W. Dove, dataller, of 35 Garden Street, Conisbrough.

Considering that the bodies had been entombed in the mine since so far back as July 9 th , they were in a remarkably good state of preservation, howbeit the features were more or less unrecognisable.

Mr. Cusworth, it may be mentioned, was identified by means of the gold watch he was wearing.

With their recovery there only remained six bodies in the mine, and this last remnant of a great calamity will probably be dealt with before the present week is out.

Mexborough Times, March 15th, 1913

There was another claim in respect to the death of a man named George Young. The applicants were his illegitimate son George Frederick Young aged 12 and the boy´s grandfather George Steadman. They live in London.

The deceased man was known at the colliery as George Steadman. Some years ago the deceased miner cohabitated with a girl named Emily Steadman. They were never married, the reason being with the man, said Mr. J. Raley, that he was once in the Army, and left. The girl´s reason she would not marry on account of the state of her health. While living together the boy was born. The man for a long time supported both the mother and the boy during the time he was at Denaby. She died two years ago, and the boy was looked after by the woman´s father, to whom the deceased often forwarded money.

This man George Steadman, said the deceased had contributed 5s. and 6s. per week to his and the boy´s maintenance, but admitted that since January 1912 he had not sent anything. They had to go into the workhouse.

For the defence Mr. Gichard submitted there was not the slightest evidence of the man´s dependency, and His Honour reversed his decision .