Cadeby Main Miner Killed – The Inquest

August 1905

Mexborough and Swinton Times August 12, 1905

Cadeby Main Miner Killed.
The Inquest.

An inquiry, touching the death of the Cadeby Main Miner, named George Webster, who was killed by a fall of coal whilst following his employment at the pit, was held at the Castle Inn, Conisborough on Saturday last, before the coroner, Mr. F. E. Nicholson.

Mr. W. Smith was elected foreman of the jury. The other gentlemen being: Messrs.J. E. Craighead, G. Smithson, H. E. Goodlad, E. Lawton, W. H. Shacklock, J. Hirst, H. E. Knowles, W. Maxfield, R. Everett, H. Senior, E. Brooks, and E.E. Schorah.

Mr. W. Walker, His Majesty’s Inspector of Mines, was present, and Mr. J. H. Barnard appeared on behalf of the colliery company.

John Wm. Webster of 75, Balby Street, stated that he was the brother of the deceased, who was 34 years of age, and married. About 11-10 on Thursday he (witness) was working with him at the Cadeby pit. He would be about 4 feet from the deceased when the coal fell forward, and pinned him underneath. The fall would weigh about two tons. Witness went round to the back of the fall, and try to lift the coal up. Finding it impossible to do so, he called his two other brothers, who were nearby, and some miners in the next working place. They commenced to cleave the coal off the deceased, when a deputy came up, and, with his positions deceased was got out. He was quite dead. He only spoke once after the coalface fell on him. Deceased head was visible to witness all the time. The place was properly timbered

By Inspector Walker: The slip was not visible on the cutting side. They had set three sprags inside the proper limit. They had holed about 1 yard underneath the coal. He thought the place was quite safe. The deputy had examined the place about half an hour before the accident record. Witness thought that there was no blame attached to anyone.

In answer to the foreman of the jury, witness gave as his option that it was a pure accident

James Springfield, deputy, stated that half an hour before the fall took place he examined deceased’s working place, and he found everything safe and in working order. There was no slip visible, but there was a weight break on the face of the coal.

He was called to the place about 11-30, and when he got there he found deceased laid under about two tons of coal. He assisted to get him out. He had always found deceased to be a careful Miner.

In answer to the Inspector witness stated these slips often occurred, when no one was killed.

He coroner said that they could only come to one conclusion – that it was a pure accident, with no blame attached to anyone

A verdict of accidental death was returned.