The houses in Annerley Street were built in two separate lots, the larger ones, and originally called Annerley Buildings, had 3 rooms upstairs, 3 rooms downstairs, a small backyard with outside toilet and coalplace. They were built in 4 blocks of 10, 1 block of 7 houses, plus the Doctor’s house and Booth’s house in 1868.
The other had 2 rooms plus an attic upstairs, 2 rooms downstairs, a small backyard with outside toilet and coalplace. They were built in 2 blocks of 9, 1 block of 11 and 3 blocks of 12 houses in 1900.
Water was installed in 1902. Gas supplied by the Colliery Co. was used from 1878 and 1900 respectively, until 1951 when electricity was installed.
The houses were demolished in 3 phases in 1967, 1968 and 1969.
From John Gwatkin’s Photographic Record of the Old village of Denaby Main
Photo: A Marsh