Conisboroites at Variance

March 1886

Mexborough and Swinton Times March 12, 1886

Conisboroites At Variance

George Haigh and John Thomas Haigh, father and son, greengrocers, residing at Conisboro’, were summoned for assaulting Joseph Batty and Ann Batty, his wife, at Conisboro’.

Joseph Batty, who appeared in court with his face plastered up, stated that on the day in question he was in his own house, when one of his little boys came and told him that John Thomas Haigh was assaulting another of his sons, aged 13 years. Complainant got up, and saw Haigh with his hand up, against the wall. Complainant’s wife went out to Haigh, and as he did not desist, witness went out and gave Haigh a push, and he fell on a heap of stone. Haigh’s father then went up, and without saying anything to complainant struck him on the eye and in the face, and John Thomas Haigh kicked him. George Haigh followed complainant to his own door. Complainant went in and locked the door, as he was afraid the defendants would ‘go at him again.’ One of his (complainant’s) boys went and told him that they were killing his mother, when witness went out and to his surprise saw his wife standing in the middle of the road, bleeding from the mouth. Complainant afterwards went to the doctor and then to the police station, and the sergeant sent a constable home with him.

Ann Batty, wife of the complainant, said the defendant struck her in the mouth with his fist, and said he would give it to her as well. The younger defendant pushed her about, and with the assistance of his mother dragged her by the hair of her head and banged her down on the road.

Arthur Ernest Batty said he was kicked against the wall by the younger defendant.

Dr. Hills deposed that he found complainant suffering from a cut on the knee, a cut under his left eye, and dislocation of one of his fingers.

For the defence Mrs. Dyson was called, and stated that she saw the two boys fighting, when Batty ran out, struck and attempted to strangle young Haigh. The father then ran to defend his boy, when Batty struck Haigh across the arm with a gutta percha stick.

Haigh stated that Batty was the first to commence the row after the boys were fighting, and he simply went to defend his lad, whom Batty was striking.

The Magistrates were of opinion that there had been a good deal of exaggeration, and as the costs were heavy they would not put on any penalty. The defendants were ordered to pay the costs, which amounted to £3 2s. 6d. altogether.