Conisborough Child’s Fatal Scalds – Upset Kettle

May 1936

Mexborough and Swinton Times May 29, 1936

Upset Kettle
Conisborough Child’s Fatal Scalds

The story of how a Conisborough child upset a kettle of hot water and receives scalds which cause her death was related at an inquest, conducted by Mr W Blackshaw, district coroner, on Monday, on Brenda Thompson, the three-year-old daughter of Alfred Walter Thompson, colliery deputy, of Doncaster Road conisborough. The child died on Friday at the Springwell House Infirmary.

Mrs Johnson, mother of the child, said that in May 19 she was in the kitchen of her home. There was a kettle of hot water on the grate, brought there was no fire in the grate. The child came in with some six, said that she had brought some firewood. Shortly afterwards, when witness had back to deceased, there was a scream. She turned round and saw the child lying on the fender with the overturned kettle by her.

“This sticks were on the hob,” said the mother, “and I think Brenda must have stood on the kerb, slipped when putting the sticks on the hob, and upset the kettle.”

Dr Eileen Rose, medical officer at Springwell House, said the child had extensive scalds on the neck, chest and arms, and had died from shock.