Mexborough & Swinton Times – Friday 29 August 1930
Doncaster Invalid’s Suicide.
Conisborough Man’s Fatal Depression.
Alone With the Gas Ring.
Mr. C. R. Marshall, the Doncaster District Deputy Coroner, held an inquiry on Wednesday at the Alma Inn, Conisborough, into the death of Frederick Hurdon (61), of 53, Garden Lane. Conisborough, which took place on Monday.
Catherine Hurdon (daughter), said her father had not worked for six years owing to illness. Previously he worked as an engineman at Cadeby Colliery. During the last five years her father had suffered from paralysis and had often been depressed. He had been unable to leave his home. “He has been generally ill for 26 years.” added the witness, “and was always worrying over his condition.” Her father had never threatened to commit suicide.
On Monday witness last maw her father alive about 2 p.m. Witness and her mother then left the house to go to Doncaster, leaving Hanlon alone in the house. He then appeared quite normal. “We both returned about 4 o’clock and found my father sitting in a chair in the back kitchen. There was a strong smell of gas, and I found a rubber tube resting on his chest. The tube was connected to the gas ring connection, the ring itself having been removed. I immediately sent for Dr. Clark and turned the gas off. It had been turned on full.”
Dr. T. D. Clark. of Conisborough, said he was called to the house at 5-15 p.m. on Monday and arrived within ten minutes. “I found Hurdon lying on the back kitchen floor where he had been placed by a constable. The man was dead, death being due to gas poisoning.
A verdict of “Suicide while of unsound mind” was recorded, the Coroner remarking that it was obvious that the man had taken one of the first opportunities of ending his life. It was perfectly obvious that the man’s condition had got on his nerves.