Mexborough and Swinton Times July 31, 1915
Dedication of Colours
Conisborough First Troop Scouts
Last Sunday morning the first Troop Conisborough scouts, under the command of Scoutmaster Mr W. Parker, attended the Parish Church. The vicar the rev. W. A. Strawbridge had promised to dedicate the new flag recently purchased for the first Troop. The ground work of the flag is coloured green. There is a yellow trefoil, with the Scout motto. “Be prepared”, underneath.
Soon after 10 o’clock on Sunday morning the Scouts began to muster near the castle gate. The second Troop under temporary instructor Thomas and the girl guides, under Guide Mistress Miss G Maxfield, mustered and took part in the parade and dedication of the colours at the church.
The colours were born to the chancel by Scoutmaster Parker, and the vicar pronounced the dedication prayer. The rev. W. A. Strawbridge, in his sermon, referred to the service and patriotism which had and maintained through such organisations as cadet corps, Boys Brigade, and Scout troops. At the conclusion of the service the national anthem was sung.