Mexborough and Swinton Times, November 16, 1928
Denaby Armistice Service
A procession was formed at Ambulance Headquarters consisting of ex-service men members of the Denaby Main Corps of the St. John Ambulance Brigade, the Nursing Sister, Conisborough and Denaby Group of Toc.H., Girl Guides. etc. The ex-Servicemen were led by Mr. Tom Oxleysecretary of the Denaby branch of the British Legion and the parade was under the command of Corps Supt. W. Still.
Headed by the Corps Head-quarters Band the parade moved off to the church where there was a large Congregation. The vicar of Denaby, the Rev. S. Powley conducted the service.
At eleven o’clock two minutes’ silent prayer was observed, and during that period even, the sparrows which were flitting about the church owing to the broken pane in the east window were silent though their chirping could be heard many times during the service. The tolling of the church bell eleven times marked the end of the silence.
The vicar took as his text, “Heaviness may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.” As the congregation left the church the rain came down. After a hymn and prayer the “Last Post” was sounded and wreaths were laid on the memorial by Mr. A. Heywood, president of the Denaby Main British Legion; by Sergeant Barker. “To our glorious dead” from the Officers, N.C.O.’s and Men of the St. John Ambulance Brigade, Denaby Main. Corps”; by Mrs. Kirby, from the Nursing Sisters of the S.J.A.B., Denaby Main corps: and from the 1st Denaby Troop, 10th Rotherham Girl Guides.
Reference was made in all places of worship to the anniversary, and the silence was observed.
The service at the Epworth Hall was conducted by the Rev. N. F. Marley, superintendent minister, who during the war served as a chaplain.