Denaby & Cadeby – Denaby 136 Beighton 114 – Match of Fluctuating Fortunes

June 1955

South Yorkshire Times, June 18th, 1955

Denaby and Cadeby Beat Beighton
in Match of Fluctuating Fortunes

In a very close game which held the spectators to the very end Denaby and Cadeby just managed to beat Beighton at Tickhill Square on Saturday in the extra five overs allowed for a decision Fortune fluctuated from side to side in a game which could have been won by either side right to the end.

Denaby won the toss and decided to bat in the lovely sunshine. Arthur Ellis and Norman Oakley opened for Denaby, and Beighton’s opening bowler Ron Barlow started the game with a full toss and two wides.

In the third over there was an appeal for l.b.w. against Oakley but he survived it but with the next ball the same thing happened and he didn’t survive this time. Waddington didn’t stay long either as Barlow hit the very top of the ball and the ball bounced high into the air. The score was then 20 for 2.

The next wicket stand between Ellis and Peter Taylor put on 53 runs and the spectators were given something for their money as these two gave a grand display of stroke play and hard hitting.
Four bowlers were tried by Beighton in the attempt to break the partnership but only when Webster, the captain, put himself on did the partnership end. He got Taylor after the batsman had scored 30. Soon afterwards Ellis went after scoring 47 and had looked like staying at the wicket all day.

A Hirst was the only batsmen to stay long after this. He made 27 while the remaining batsmen were coming in and going out. He had one lucky escape, however, as he stepped out of his crease in hitting a ball from Robinson.

Barlow did a very snappy bit of fielding in making a very quick return to the stumper and Hirst was almost out. The innings ended at 136.

Beighton batted after the tea interval with two and a half hours in which to score 137. They started steadily against Denaby’s six feet of fast bowling in the person of J. Forrest. It was Newton who had the first success – the wicket of Webster for only three runs. R. Hall was next man in, and stayed with opening batsman I. Storey to put on 30 runs with him. Hall’s share was 16 very delightful runs including some very powerful shots on the off side.

Cory was the man who broke the partnership and he also sent R. Barlow back to the pavilion with a quick ‘duck’. D. Jones then joined Storey and helped his to another stand of 21 runs before Cory had his third success in getting Storey out with a ‘yorker’, Storey had then scored 22.

E. Robinson came in for a short stay to sore two, and give Cory his fourth success.

Beighton then lost two quick wickets, those of Jones and J. Oram to Downing and Cory. At this stage Cory had taken five wickets for 18 runs and the hat was taken round to the spectators, for a collection for this feat.

Things now began to look bad for Beighton as the score stood at 84 for 7, but Williams and Watson stuck in and put on 16 runs before Newton claimed his second wicket – that of Williams caught by Hirst. F. Davis now replaced Cory (5 for 30) and had immediate success in bowling Burgin for a ‘duck’. His over was to be the last but Denaby claimed the extra five overs, as the score now stood at 110 for nine.

Beighton’s last pair, however looked like sticking in. With two overs left Arthur Ellis dropped an easy catch from Jenkinson and it looked as if he had lost the match for Denaby, but it was not to be as Newton clean bowled Burgin for a ‘duck,’ and it was all over, to give Denaby victory by 22 runs as Beighton were all out for 114.