Denaby & Cadeby – Denaby 90  Collegiate  92 for 6 – Collegiate’s First Win of the Season

5 June 1931

Mexborough & Swinton Times – Friday 05 June 1931

 Denaby  90  Collegiate  92 for 6

The visit of Denaby to Abbeydale brought Collegiate their first win of the season after a match in which the batsmen throughout laboured for their runs on a wicket which batsmen held the balance, who, however, were flattered by the high degree of respect with which the bowlers were treated.

The Denaby innings lasted two hours and 20 minutes to produce 90 runs. Tibbles top scored with 31 Varley returned four wickets for 30 runs and Beadsmore  three for 34. Collegiate were not so sunny batting as usual and they did not win without a fight is the bowling of Wild, who was again in form. Collegiate won by the margin of four wickets in the end, and by that time Wilde had taken five wickets for 29 runs – a notable performance

Wath 200 for 7  Mexborough  88

The weakness of the Mexborough batting was further exposed at Wath, where only 88 runs were got together in a little under two hours, and a defeat by the decisive margin of only 112 runs was suffered. True leadership enable Wath to force a win even after their batsmen, at one period, and apparently allowed a solid advantage to slip from them. A wicket thrown away in the opening stages by Wath, was followed by Potts and Ellis steadily pulling the game round. The innings of the day was that of Ellis, who gave no chance in an 80 minute stay and cut and grow strongly. He left when he had reached 53. Potts’s contribution was 46 and Wath declared at 200 for seven.

Mexborough’s innings Broadhead cramp to style in a defensive game, and extremely well he played it. While wicket after wicket fell at the other end, to the wiles of Hargreaves mainly, Broadhead stood firm. He was bold jumping out to drive when all hope of saving the game and gone, and Wath one with about ¼ of an hour. Hargreaves clever bowling brought him seven wickets for 39 runs

Hickleton   153 for 3   Firbeck  119

All or Nothing Tactics

Hickleton take a chance and win. Alban Turner made a sporting declaration at Thurnscoe and relied on his attack to get Firbeck out  for less than 153 runs in 2 ¼ hours. 155 minutes less than Hickleton’s five batsmen had occupied.

The move met with the success they deserve, Hickleton winning with 20 minutes to spare.

Turner scored Hickleton’s first 10 runs off his own back before he was caught by LeBrun. But just over half an hour elapsed before senior scored his first run. Next wicket did not fall till the total was 83, and the only other wonderful was that of Cyril Probert at 101. Senior, who was undefeated for 64, was at the wicket for 2½ hours. Hickleton declared at 153 for 3.

Faye Thurlbeck started off at a fast rate, until Turner split the partnership in his first over. Wickets fell at regular intervals with seven wickets down for 103. Cyril Probert took four for 34 and Turner three for 41. This Firbeck were all out for 119.

Wath  125 for 5 dec Elsecar  119 for 4

A Close Thing

Wath Nearly get a Shock

The second of the Elsecar feast matters, on Monday,  got plenty of thrills and came desperately near providing the surprise of the season to date.

Rain conspired with the fates to make the match one of touch and go to the end. There was more than an hour’s introduction and Wath’s attempt to adapt themselves to curtail time, produced a fine sporting finish. Wath declared with only 125 runs on the board and Elsecar rose to the occasion so well that they were only seven short of victory when time ran out.

The features of the game of the batting of Senior for Wath and Woolley for Elsecar. Senior scored 80 not out and Woolley was out for 55. Cookson remaining at the close with 30 not out. Of the five Wath wickets which fell Wales took 4 for 29