Denaby Child Scalded – Inquest hears Story of Denaby Mother’s Ordeal.

January 1930

Sheffield Independent – Saturday 18 January 1930

Denaby Child Scalded

Bernard Gedney, aged 10 months, 17, George street. Denaby, died in Fullerton Hospital, Conisborough, yesterday from scalds caused by upsetting a bowl of hot starch over himself.


Sheffield Daily Telegraph – Monday 20 January 1930

Child’s Fatal Scalds.

Inquest Story of Denaby Mother’s Ordeal.

A verdict of ‘Accidental death” was returned the Doncaster Coroner (Mr. W. H. Carlile) at the inquest at Fullerton Hospital, Conisborough, on Saturday, on Bernard Gedncy, the ten months-old son of Mr. and Mrs. B. Gedney, 17, George Street, Denaby, who died two days after admission to the hospital.

The evidence was that the child’s mother added boiling water to some starch and placed the bowl on the edge of the table. The child, who had been standing near the copper, moved after mother turned round and, apparently, standing on tip-toe, tipped the contents of the bowl on to his chest.

Hearing a scream, the mother rushed back to the child, ripped its clothes off and used oils before taking him to the hospital.

Dr. Ford said that death was due to shock following the scalds.