Denaby Deputy’s Inspection – A Nice Point

March 1907

Mexborough and Swinton Times March 16th 1907

A Denaby Deputy’s Inspection.
A Nice Point.

Samuel Kynaston, described as a miner, of Denaby, was on the date of the alleged offence, a deputy in the colliery. His offence said Mr Gichard, was a breach of special rule 13, in not having made a proper inspection to discover the presence of gas. The amount of gas at that particular spot was so extensive in volume that it could not have got there in less than two or three hours. His attention was directed to the oversight by another deputy.

Harry Parker, miner, said he was working in stall 49, on March 9 and defendant was a deputy in charge of the district. Witness smelt something wrong but could not say what it was. When the other deputy examined the place he turned witness out, because he supposed the place was not safety working.

Defendant elicited from witness that the latter did not think that her place dangerous, and that had he thought so it was his duty to report it to the deputy.

Eli Croxall, acting under-manager at Cadeby mine, said while following his usual round to see that everything was being carried out all right, he discovered gas at the particular working in question. The contention of witness was that defendant did not make a further examination, or he must have found the gas. Witness had the stall fenced off and the workmen withdrawn, when witness told defendant, the latter denied the presence of gas. Later, when the two went back to the place, defendant did not use his lamp in the correct way to make proper examination.

In answer to the defendant, witness admitted it was possible for gas to accumulate within 15 minutes. 6 inches of gas would put the light out, but witness avoided having the light extinguished.

Defendant admitted, on oath, that he did not put the lamp up at the particular spot in question it would be an impossibility for deputies to put their lamps up at all above the roof, or they would never get through the stall. What they did was to test the places where there were faults, and there was more likelihood of gas. His contention was that between 4:30 and 5:30, the times the previous witness asserted that he found the gas, and withdrew the men, sufficient time had elapsed for the accumulation of gas.

Thomas Cusworth, miner, said he saw defendant examine the place, and put his initials on. Witness further asserted that there was no gas present at the time of defendant’s visit.

Defendant was ordered to pay 48/–, including costs.