Denaby Miner’s Tragic Death – Terrible Station Tragedy in Sheffield

March 1911

Mexborough & Swinton Times – Saturday 11 March 1911

Denaby Miner’s Tragic Death

Terrible Station Tragedy in Sheffield

The shocking death of Charles Hopewell (34), single, the Denaby miner who retained consciousness after being run over, it was supposed, by five trains at the Midland Railway Station, Sheffield. remains enshrouded in mystery.

At Tuesday’s inquest several theories were advanced as to the circumstances attending the man’s terrible death, but no actual evidence was forthcoming.

Evidence was given to the effect that early on Sunday morning a shunter named George Ellis discovered Hopewell in a conscious condition, lying with his legs cut off between the metals of No. 8 platform. He died four hours later at the Royal Hospital.

A railway ticket, which had been issued at Rotherham, West Gate on Saturday, from that station to Mansfield, was found in his possession. Hopewell left his lodging at 16, William Street, Denaby, on Saturday noon, apparently with the object of proceeding to the colliery to draw his wages, but had he intended visiting his sister, Mrs. Annie Simpson, of 7, White Cottages, Old Basford, Nottingham, he would have had to change trains at Sheffield. Mrs Simpson thought it very likely it was his intention to visit her.

Traffic Inspector Pearse, on behalf of the railway company, said the platform near to which Hopewell was found, was always well lighted. .No accident of any kind had been reported to the company, and none of the officials remembered noticing Hopewell at the station on Saturday.

The Coroner (Mr. D. Wightman) said there was no suggestion of suicide in the case. Owing to the statement that Hopewell some-times took a little too much drink, the Coroner thought that he might accidentally have fallen on to the line after having had “a stip ton much beer,” or have lost his way in the station, and in all probability had been accidentally run over.

The Coroner’s Officer, (Police Sergeant Hoggard): His thigh was fractured in two places,. So if he fell off the platform he would lie on the line until a train came by. All his other injuries were below the knee.

The jury returned an open verdict.