Denaby United – Kiveton Park 2  Denaby 1- Farsley Celtic 2  Denaby 1 – No Title Hopes as Denaby Lose

May 1969

South Yorkshire Times, May 10, 1969

No Title Hopes as Denaby Lose

Kiveton Park 2  Denaby United 1

While Mexborough Town were disposing of Farsley at Hampden Road, Denaby United were very much involved in the title race themselves at the weekend, taking on favourite Kiveton Park away from home on Saturday and visiting Farsley on Sunday.

In fact the performances of Denaby have proved of tremendous importance to Mexborough this season, as the 2-0 Easter victory at Tickhill Square has left Mexborough in the position they now hold. Two points for the Town in this match would let them in the clear.

Tough task

With Kiveton Prepared to give everything to keep the title within their grasp, Denaby faced a very tough task on Saturday and did well to hold the score to 2-1.

Johnny Gilbert gave United a brief lead in the first half but by half-time Kiveton had scored the match-winning goals through Taylor and Conneally.

 Farsley Celtic 2  Denaby United 1

The primary result of this match was to leave Denaby in a very sad position as far as injuries were concerned for the following day’s game at Farsley. Peter Caunt acted as substitute because of a troublesome leg injury, and Denaby were also without John Royston. Johnny Gilbert and goalkeeper John Pitman. Keith Roddis played his second game in the goalkeeper’s jersey.

The start was delayed for 20 minutes as Denaby arrived late, and the early play reflected the tough games these two teams had fought out the previous day. Denaby were the first to score newcomer Brian Holden netting  at the second attempt after Pettit had provided the opportunity, but gave Jones (K) the scoring chance.

The Winner

The winning goal came after 35 minutes, when Farsley worked an opportunity from a free-kick just outside the box and Steele netted the shot when everyone expected the cross.

Denaby fought hard to get back into the game, but against the best defence in the league, it was an uphill struggle. Parsley relied on the solidarity at the rear to stem des tern the flow of Denaby attacks, in spite having the better of the play in the second half, the equaliser proved out of reach.