Denaby Utd – Consett 4 Denaby 1 – Denaby’s Dazzle Lasted 55 Minutes

21 November 1959

South Yorkshire Times – Saturday 21 November 1959

Denaby’s Lasted 55 Dazzle Minutes

Denaby United deserved a better fate than a 4-1 defeat when they visited lowly Consett in a Midland League game on Saturday.

They were more than a match for the Ironworkers leg weary after their 420 minutes cup marathon with South Shields —in the first half and should have turned round comfortably in the lead, but after breaking through the Consett defence time and time again, they had no punch and only managed to get one goal. And this was the lone goal they had to be content with for the rest of the game. Consett’s ‘keeper., Kirkbride was never called on deal with a really dangerous shot.

Denaby’s dazzle faded early in the second half, when two goals In 15 minutes put them behind. Then Consett really piled on the pressure and whipped in another couple of goals before the half was 30 minutes old.

Inside right Guest tried hard to infuse some life Into the Denaby front rank, but many of his wonderful passes were wasted by sheer fiddling.

Only some tine saves by Ostear and quick tackling by centre-half Johnson and right half Lees, prevented Consett from increasing their score.

Sixes and Sevens

Denaby had the home defence at sixes and sevens in the first 10 minutes of the game and were justly rewarded after 16 minutes, although the goal came from a defensive blunder by Milburn, the home pivot . He was too slow in trying to push the ball back to goalkeeper, Kirkbride and centre forward SHAW nipped inside to prod the, ball past the ‘keeper. It trickled across the goal line.

Consett’s danger men were left winger O’Connor and centre forward Glendenning.

And It was from the left wing that Consett got their goals. After 55 minutes, O’Connor wriggled his way past full back Williams before lobbing the ball into the  middle. Inside right HALL brought it down before shooting into the roof of the net, Five minutes later, O’Connor slipped over a good pass for GLENDENNING to fire an unstoppable shot past Oslear. These goals game Consett the incentive and GLENDENNING completed his hat-trick with neat goals in the 72nd and 74th minutes.


Consett:  Kirkbride; Siddle, Spedding; Marsden, Milburn, McDonald; Grant, Hall, Glendenning, Nicholson, O’Connor.

Denaby United: Oslear; Williams, Fisher; Lees, Johnson, Steeple; France, Guest, Shaw, Hatton, Slater