Denaby Utd – Denaby 0, Peterborough 3 – Denaby Still Without a Point

September 1945

South Yorkshire Times September 22, 1945

Midland League
Denaby Still Without a Point

Denaby United 0, Peterborough United 3

Denaby again failed to break the ice on Saturday. Peterborough United were responsible for their fourth successive defeat by 3-0, at Tickhill square.

If the Denaby men had taken all their scoring opportunities they might have snatched a point, although their positional play did not compare with that of the faster moving better balanced visitors. Led by Laxton, the Peterborough attack, in which Ashman at inside left, was conspicuous had punch – notability absent from the Denaby line – up until a late stage when a rearrangement effected some improvement.

Birkinshaw, alone, among the halves found his forwards with the same precision and regularity as the Peterborough wing halves.

For a time in the opening minute the attack functioned reasonably well though without finishing power. After 10 minutes they had the ball in the net following a fine movement started by H Shephard at right back, the ball going by way of Burkinshaw. Watson Hardy on the right wing for Cookson to score. But he was given offside.

The Peterborough forwards revealed their form in a series of raids in one of which Washington opened their account after 27 minutes. Laxton added another almost from the touch off. He alluded G. Taylor at centre half. and steering skilfully between the backs he beat Denaby keeper with a ground shot from 10 yards.

Cookson twice missed good chances from close range. Cutts, deputising for Roddisson the right wing was guilty of over haste. When following a freekick, he booted a glorious scoring chance high over the bar. Just before half-time Vickers went on the left wing. T. Shephard taking his place at left back and her dropping to left half, but the effect was not felt until later in the second half and after Peterborough, with Smith, a stalwart at right of of the field injured. had got their third goal. Cookson failed to finish off a solo run and receiving an excellent centre from Vickers shot over from 6 yards when Laxton snapped up the ball, beat the defence and headed into the net

Denaby reorganised attack several times got past the backs in the later stages, but time and again Hillyard, advancing audaciously saved the situation. He was penalised for carrying, but although the ball found its way into the net from the free kick, taken by Vickers, four yards in front of the Peterborough goal, a goal was disallowed.