Denaby Utd – Denaby 1, Hatfield Main 2 – Denaby’s Defence Were Careless

March 1969

South Yorkshire Times March 15, 1969

Denaby’s Defence Were Careless

Denaby United 1, Hatfield Main 2

Denaby United came out of the winter recess on Saturday and dictated the play against Hatfield Main, but a suspect defence failed to get a grip on the opposition ,and Hatfield were able to halt the Denaby revival with a point stealing goal in the last minute

After such a long lay-off it would not have been surprising for this Yorkshire League clash to have degenerated into a scrappy affair with both teams short of the essential match practice, but from the kick-off Denaby took possession of the midfield and Whittaker prompted his forwards into several attacks which threatened to crack the visitors defence at any moment.

It was, however, when Hatfield broke into attack that the situation looked ominous for Denaby. The defence showed a lack of cohesion which could only have come from being shortage of practise, and it was this that finally lost the game for them. With 12 minutes gone, Hatfield began a swift counter attack down the left and as Rose centred, Williams found himself unmarked by the post. His shot was screwed across goal, but outside left Cannon snapped up the chance to give the visitors an undeserved lead,

Undeterred, Denaby fought hard to equalise but the visitors defence had settled to the task and Howe in goal was in fine form. He it was who sprang cat like” keep out a great effort from Morley, and as Denaby bombarded the goal Peter Caunt had the bad luck to see his shot beat the keeper, only to strike the crossbar.

The pattern of play continued in the second half with Denaby showing great spirit. But as the time take by the play began scrappy and Hatfield came more into the game.

Then out of the blue came a grand equaliser. Royston fastened onto a loose ball 20 yards out and hit a tremendous drive into the top corner of the net.

It would have been a deserving equaliser had the match ended then, however Denaby funneled back into defence to allow the visitors to come back into the match.

In the final minute the Denaby defence tempted fate once too often and paid the penalty.