Denaby Utd – Denaby 2 Derby County 1 – Game Spoiled by Strong Wind

March 1905

Mexborough & Swinton Times March 18th, 1905.

Denaby United 2 Derby County Reserve 1

The game at Denaby on Saturday was to a great extent spoiled by the strong wind which blew down the ground. The luck of winning the toss meant a great deal, and Denaby were fortunate in winning Dame Fortune’s smiles by Lawley correctly naming the uppermost face of the coin.

Starting with wind and sun behind them, Denaby soon got in the vicinity of Smith, Lavery having hard lines with making Smith handle. McAllister was well to the tore in defence, and was mainly responsible for a fine breakaway, after two abortive corners had been taken by Denaby. Getting back, Nimrod took a pot shot, and forced a corner. For a few minutes play was a little easier round the ‘Rams’ goal, and then Denaby got going again, and Smith was called upon by Nimrod to save a couple of warm shots. Hawkins, who seemed to be always where he was wanted, sent in a ‘corker,’ which took Smith all he knew of the art of goalkeeping to save. Denaby’s right wing got possession, and Lindley, almost on the line, sent in a terrific shot which got in the net before Smith even knew of its whereabouts.

From the centre-kick the ‘Reds’ got down again, and started ‘butting’ the ‘Rams’ goalie, a long shot dropping amongst a heap of players in the goal-mouth. Smith was beaten but Harper got in the way, and saved the fort for the time. In this scrimmage Smith was injured, and was absent some ten minutes, Berrington going in goal. The pressure was kept up by Denaby, and soon after Smith’s return, Lavery, putting in some good work, completely beat Smith.

Half-time arrived with Denaby leading 2-0, and having had the best of the game entirely. It was to be reasonably expected that the ‘Reds’ would be on their defence during the second half, but such proud not to be the case, Denaby having slightly more of the game than the ‘Black and Whites,’ and being more dangerous in front of goal. Hancock was the first to be called upon, but Denaby got down to the other end by some fine work, Lavery testing Smith. Paton got away, and by some fine individual work was looking dangerous when Lawley relieved. Derby’s left was putting in some fine work, Myddleton being especially noticeable, his runs and accurate centring being rather a thorn in Lindley’s side, who, however, managed to generally rob him. Chadfield, playing a sterling game, got down and tested Smith, and Nimrod had hard lines with a good shot, Derby’s goalie just saving. Paton got away again, and was just in the act of shooting when Lawley tripped him, and from the resultant penalty McAllister shot past Hancock. Time was called a minute afterwards, and the game ended by Denaby winning by two goals to one.

Of the Derby players the defence was its weakest part. Smith could not be blamed for either of the shots that beat him. Both backs were weak, and with the exception of McAllister, who played a sterling game, the halves were mediocre, Myddleton and Paton were the pick of the front string, Paton putting in some good individual work.

Hancock, for Denaby, had nothing to do in the first half; in the second he did what was necessary well. Lawley was the best of the backs. The halves all played a champion game, and it’s hard to individualise either. Of the forwards, they were all good, Lavery especially. Torr threw away some good work by either weak shooting or ineffective centring.