Denaby Utd – Denaby 2 Grantham 1 – Pace and Perseverance.

21 November 1930

Mexborough & Swinton Times – Friday 21 November 1930

Grantham Down Again

Denaby ignore a Reputation

Pace and Perseverance.

Denaby United 2 Grantham 1

Denaby were undismayed by the formidable record of the Grantham defence and gained a well deserved 2-1 win at Tickhill Square. The Denaby forwards soon showed how much—or little—they ware overawed by the men who had till then conceded an average of only one goal a match, and within four minutes SMITH, quickly seizing an opportunity while the Grantham defence was concentrating on Bowen and Sheldon, gave Denaby the lead. Grantham did not allow tuna to retain the lead long. Straight from the kick-off GARNHAM scored an equaliser.

Five minutes later GILCHRIST put Denaby ahead again and that was the end of the scoring for the day.

Winnell did get the ball in the net for Grantham a few minutes later but the goal was disallowed as Stephenson was standing offside. On the run of the play Grantham deserved to be on terms at half-time, but in the second half Denaby were definitely superior. The game deteriorated towards the end and there were far too many free kicks.

Denaby certainly showed that they are at last getting together as a team. The inclusion of Hargreaves in the half-back line was successful, for though he is not such a good “stopper” as Mountney, Hargreaves is a schemer. He often set the forwards going with skilful passes. Hughes gets better every match, and Denby have in him one of the best halves in the district. Smith is a powerful centre-half though he has not as yet shown constructive genius. The forwards played a hard game and kept up a commendable pace with the heavy ball. Bowen often broke through on his own but was nearly always knocked off the ball before he could get in a shot. When he can hold the ball a little closer be will begin to get goals. Gilchrist was the best of the forwards and the goal he scored was typical of the opportunism which marks his play. Sheldon spoiled a good display by a tendency to get offside. Vollans was strong and forceful and kept the Grantham backs busy, though he never found a way through to goal. Taylor, Ashall and Brannan were steady and determined.

Grantham were beet served by their backs, Wright and Barrett. The halves were not impressive and the forward line lacked thrust in the middle. Watson and Faulks, the wingers, had to be closely watched.

A word about the support Denby are getting this season: the attendance on Saturday was by no means adequate fora Midland League club, and it is not that Denaby are playing indifferent football. On Saturday’s form they would hold their own with most in the League. And what other club in the district offers a musical programme to its supporters and a free stand?

Denaby people take a lot of satisfying.


DENABY: Brannan; Taylor, Ashall, Hughes, Smith, Hargreaves ; Sheldon, Gilchrist, Bowen, Vollans, Skeels.

GRANTHAM: Bobbs; Wright, Barratt, Hodgkinson, Morgan, Pearce; Watson, Winnell, Garnham Stephenson, Faulks.

Referee: H. C. Brannan (Derby).