Denaby Utd – Denaby 2 Rotherham Town 0 – Splendid Game – Started with 8 men !

December 1906

Mexborough and Swinton Times December 29, 1906

Greek Versus Greek
Splendid Game at Denaby
The Clifton Lane Colours Lowered

Denaby United 2 Rotherham Town 0

The 2000 devotees of the winter pastime who braved the terrors of a freezing atmosphere in order to watch the fight between the strongest clubs in the Don Valley, received full value for their money.

Although the Denaby men commenced with eight men, and therefore matters tended distinctly to favour Rotherham Town, the games could never be described as one-sided, and throughout the 90 minutes of play interest was kept to a high pitch, while as the game progressed, the colliery club supporters noted with unconcealed delight the manner in which their pets were gradually assuming the upper hand and breaking down the opposition.

The home side commenced with eight men. Though the home team were handicapped for first quarter of an hour, owing to their weakened forces, they held their own. Denaby were playing two forwards. The Rotherham front rank were showing indifferent form, their weakness been painfully manifest in front of goal, more than one glorious opportunity being missed.

Tomkins and Heppinstall were playing delightful football, and after the latter nicely rounded Layton, Eyre obtained possession, and getting through beat Scott easily.

Denaby should certainly have had it to their score, for after Scott at St Cleverley from Harrogate, Epping star missed an open goal. He was however, playing a rare game, and after working his way right to the Rotherham goal he was knocked over as he prepared to shoot. Denaby were having all the game.

A penalty for hands was awarded Denaby, from which Westwood scored, but the referee ordered the kick to be taken again, this time Scott save cleverly.

Towards the interval the visitors improved, but they were weak in front of goal.

In the second half Denaby pressed heavily, both happens to an air had shots charged down. Rotherham for fully quarter of an hour kept Denaby in their own quarters, but they could not beat Hancock, was exceptionally safe, although the goal at some very lucky escapes.

Five minutes from time Harrop scored from the centre by Dyal, and the result came with Denaby deservedly victors of one of the most exciting games witness on the home enclosure this season.