Denaby Utd – Denaby 2, York City Res. 1- “Missing Thousand” Miss Little at Tickhill Square

1 September 1951

South Yorkshire Times, September 1st, 1951

The “Missing Thousand” Miss Little at Tickhill Square

Denaby United 2, York City Res. 1

One way and another, it was a pretty gloomy evening at Tickhill Square on Saturday. There was every good intention in Denaby’s decision to have an evening match to avoid clashing with Doncaster Rovers’ home game, but the subsequent “gate” of 1,500 made a questionable decision.

After Denaby’s fine display against Doncaster Reserves the previous Monday, the last thing to expect would be a drop of 1,000 in the “gate,” but apparently the many counter attractions on a Saturday evening make football a secondary consideration.

As it was, the “missing thousand” missed precious little, for the game was a complete antithesis of that against Doncaster Reserves. Denaby took the points, but York earned them, for they played throughout the second half with goalkeeper Jack Ashley limping on the right wing, and inside-right Peter Turpin hobbling on the left wing.

Denaby had a really good spell mid-way through the first half when Jack Rowney and Bill Short served up the goals. The latter’s effort was the best thing of the evening. Jack Williams ran fully 30 yards before slipping the ball out to the left. From way out on the wing, Short put every ounce of his weight behind a right foot shot which was driven home at incredible speed. Incidentally, there are few wingers in this League who cross a ball quite so fiercely as Short, but he would be a far more dangerous winger i1 he learned to control the ball more quickly.

Denaby eased up visibly after these highlights, and they were fortunate to get away with both points. Jack Williams, standing on the goal line, stopped a certain goal in the 78th minute, the ball striking his right hand. York right back—Andy Spence—the best defender on the field—scored from the penalty, and with this added incentive York went to work. Wing halves Ken Williams and Wingfield played well up with three fit forwards and subjected the Denaby defence to a 30 minutes’ grilling which must have surprised them considerably.

Roy Cooling and Rowney were the best of the Denaby forwards, and Harston had quite a sound game at right back.