Denaby Utd – Denaby 3 Nottm Forest Res 5 – Forest Too Fast And Strong

3 October 1930

Mexborough & Swinton Times – Friday 03 October 1930

Denaby’s Fifth Beating

Notts. Forest Too Fast And Strong.

Denaby United 3 Nottm Forest Res 5

Although at one time it seemed as if Denaby might pull the game round in their match with Notts. Forest at Tickhill Square on Saturday, they were in the end beaten by a better team.

All the same, a little bit of luck when Denaby were only one goal behind with 15 minute’s to play might have enabled them to share the points or even to win, for the Notts. defenders were kicking the ball anywhere after Denaby got their third goal.

At the start it appeared that Denaby were going to be overwhelmed. The Nottingham players set off at a great pace and their wide-flung forward movements soon had Denaby in difficulties. After six minutes FIRTH gave the Forest the lead with a neat header from Howie’s centre.

Within a minute Notts. went further ahead BROWN easily scoring after Brannan had partially saved a shot from Firth. After this it looked though goals were going to come quickly, but Denaby managed to stave off the Nottingham forwards, thanks mainly to great work by Matt. Taylor at right back. Denaby improved and kept the Notts. goalkeeper busy for a time, but play was soon transferred to the other end and DICKINSON scored a third goal for Nottingham after 29 minutes.

Two minutes later Denaby got a goal in rather a surprising way. AIREY centred from the left wing and the Notts. goalkeeper thinking one of his backs bad the ball covered, allowed it to roll into the net.

In the second half Denaby began in determined fashion and Gilchrist went close with a header from Fisher’s centre. However, Notts. were not to be denied and after 15 minutes Dickinson scored their fourth goal. At Oil point the game underwent a change. The Denaby players were making a big effort to draw level, and though never so polished as their opponents they showed remarkable grit in the way they forced the ball into the Notts. goalmouth time after time.

They were rewarded when, after 20 minutes, FISHER scored following a scramble in the goal area, and seven minutes later when Gilchrist was charged in the back by a Notts. defender, ASHALL scored from the resulting penalty.

It was the hardest of hard lines when a few minutes later Gilchrist headed against an upright with Ashton well beaten. Seven minutes from the end DICKINSON made the result certain by completing his hat trick. It would perhaps have been deserved if Denaby had forced a draw, but on the whole the better team won.

The Notts, forwards were fast and penetrative and their precise passes often had the Denaby defence in a tangle. Cameron did welled centre-half for the visitors and Coyles and Burton were sound backs, but it was their forward superiority which gave Notts. the pull.