Denaby Utd – Denaby 3 Notts Forest Res 4 – Denaby United Defeated At Last

November 1906

Mexborough and Swinton Times November 17, 1906

Denaby United Defeated At Last
Notts Forest Unexpected Victory

Notts Forest Reserve 4 Denaby United 3

On Saturday Notts Forest reserve put an end to Denaby United’s hitherto unbroken string of successes. 4 goals to 3 represented the score of the respective sides at the conclusion of the struggle, but the keenest and most bigoted Denaby parties must’ve seen that the relative merits of the respective teams were much more clearly defined that would appear from the score.

As the 90 minutes gradually wore away, and the 1200 spectators witnessed the wearing down of the hitherto irresistible Denaby United, they bowed to the inevitable. To their infinite credit it should be said that throughout they recognised the many good points which the excellent football of the visitors ibrought to their notice, and appreciated the general all round superiority of the Nottingham men in true sportsman like manner.

Cmmendation of Nottingham’s display was general, and the consensus of opinion was that to the best team the laurels of victory and gone.

The weather was bright, and the ground, despite the recent bout of bad weather, admirably adapted for football.

A “star” from the Red House, in the person of Woodlands, newly transferred from the Rotherham County Club to that of Notts Forest, provided the first spice of danger to the home goal. Time after time the visitors let the wing a getaway but steadiness and sturdiness was writ large on the features of the veteran defenders. The initial attacks, therefore, went thus far and no further. At the other end the Denaby forwards were trying to reproduce their usual methods, which consisted of smothering the opposition before the game was thoroughly opened out.

It was evidence, however, their advances lacked the cohesion and dexterity of footwork which usually characterises them, and which has justly rendered them as objects of dread and anxiety to the rest of the Midland League defendants.

When the game had been in progress some 30 minutes the Notts defence gave out. The Denaby men had gone down in a body, and the inside left, with a coolness truly Harroponian, placed the ball across to Hunter. That player, headed in and the home team were one up – a more satisfactory state of affairs – but one which was not allowed to remain long, however, as straight from the kick-off the visiting forwards set off in search of equalising goal. The search party was successful in the expedition, as a moment later, Smith broke away and despite several efforts at circumlocution on the part of Hancock, had no difficulty in scoring. Thus at the interval both teams were credited with a goal

The second half opened with a bout of goalscoring bordering on the sensational

The ubiquitous Woodlands made his presence felt to such a purpose as to force a corner kick. This was immediately cleared, and the Denaby forwards, getting away with a rush, the ball was swung out to the left. Eyre swerving to meet the pass, dashed the ball into the net with terrific force.

The Notts men, carefully reproducing the message of their rivals, also made a combined rush. This time the source of danger lay with the right wing. Slowly, and with admirable precision, the ball went from forward to forward to the burly form of Leeson’s, looming in the goalkeepers line of vision, the crowd held its breath

The next moment the pent-up air was released in a dismal wail, as Leeson calmly placed the ball wide of Hancock and at the same time enabled his side to continue the argument on level terms.

Then the tide of success turned permanently in favour of the Foresters. To the end of the game the ball was continually meandering in the Denaby half. Johnson, on the Notts right, attacked heavily, and Chapman succeeded in forcing a corner. From this abode travelled onto the foot of Wolfe. That player shot straight in, and put his side ahead

The gloom of impending defeat was further deepened little later, one of the Notts forward making tracks for the Denaby goal, was badly tripped in the forbidding area. The penalty kick was taken by the inside right, Chapman, who gave Hancock absolutely no chance with his shot.

The plucky and scintillating Dyal, however was undefeated to the last, and from time to time he engineered dangerous movements on the right wing. Shortly after Notts fourth goal was scored the Denaby men, making a despairing effort , got within shooting range of Rodnell. The ball was crossed over from the left and Dyal, ever the alert, banged it in without a moment’s hesitation, the shot being altogether irresistible. On another occasion Eyre sent in a perfect centre, and inside men rush forward simultaneously. It was a despairing effort and a vain one. Rodnell rushed out and cleared.

The game was now to all intents and purposes over, and when a moment later the whistle blew, the spectators had the satisfaction of knowing that though their pets have been defeated the best team had one, and that both had combined to give the onlookers good value for their outlay