Denaby Utd – Denaby 3 Rawmarsh 0 – No Rawmarsh Double over Denaby

March 1967

South Yorkshire Times March 25, 1967

No Rawmarsh Double over Denaby United

Denaby United showed undoubted ascendancy over Rawmarsh by winning 3 – 0 in a match of which parts would have done credit to Billy Smart’s Circus.

With Denaby bidding for the championship of the Yorkshire league Division II and Rawarsh attempting to complete the double over them, we might have expected fireworks, but the only ones we got were of the wrong type.

Denaby had some justification for a below par performance, as this was their first game for three weeks, and in the later stages they did move with more cohension and method, but Rawmarsh will want to forget as quickly as possible their own showing.

In the first half, Ken Launders was Denaby’s danger man, seeming to be the one player with any power in his shooting, and when he cracked a ball towards goal from 20 yards Hardy Clow tipped it on the bar. Pete Caunt gently placed the penalty in the back of the net.

Kick off line

Another shot from Launders hit the bar, and Alan Crow had to make a spectacular kick-off the line to save his side, but apart from this there was little excitement until half time.

After the interval the game degenerated into a farce, and referee AIlott at one stage was surrounded by most of the players while Gerry Smith, Roy Ainscough, Alan Cooper and Mick Wassell all had treatment for cracks to the Shin or ankle,

Wassell threatened briefly, and made himself unpopular with United supporters as he tried to force through, but eventually Denaby took control with fluent play inspired by some cool passing from Mick Lovell’

These tactics deservedly paid off with two more goals, the first of these was an extraordinary affair, as Dick Barton was allowed to head a corner from Smith into the net without a challenge and Rawmarsh protested vigorously after the goal. However, after consulting his linesman, the referee allowed it.

Walked Ball Through

Then Barton made it 3-0 in the closing minutes, walking the ball in through a prostrate defence, and the final whistle ended a game no one will remember for long.

Teams and ratings:

Rawmarsh: Tomkins 7; Crow 7, Clow (H) 8; Taylor 6, Wilson 7, Sanderson 8, Pugh 6, Moorhouse 7, Wassell 7, Flynn 6, Clow (R) 5.

Denaby: Smith (Gordon) 7; Wiggles 7, Caunt 7; Lovell 8, Cooper (B) 7, Ainscough 7; Cooper (A) 7, launders 8, Barton 7, Smith (M) S, Smith (Gerry) 7,

Referee Mr F. Allott (Sheffield) 5.