Denaby Utd – Denaby 4 Licoln City Res 2 – Heroes All – Denaby Stop the Rot

February 1935

Mexborough and Swinton Times February 22, 1935

Midland League
Heroes All
Denaby Stop the Rot
Denaby 4 Lincoln City Reserves 2

22 hero slipped, slithered and struggled in the mud at Tickhill Square on Saturday. In the end the Denaby players prove their superiority at the aquatic manoeuvres which were demanded of them and won 4-2, but some of the shine was taken off their victory by the fact that all their goals were scored after Lincoln had lost the services of their goalkeeper. This was Denaby’s first home league win since December 15.

Despite the fact that they started with a terrific westerly gale blowing shoots and driving rain in their faces, Lincoln did remarkably well in the first half. The Denaby forwards played into their hands by getting in each other’s way to the shoot was done by the halves. Even Matt Taylor came into the firing line and did a good deal better than the regular members of the attack. Lincoln packed their goal shrewdly. Marklew and Watson rarely went outside the penalty area, and the halves hovered along the 18 yards line and were mostly satisfied to kick the ball away anyway. Slate, making his debut in the Lincoln goal, positioned himself well and was very safe. In fact Denaby never really looked like scoring.

But it came as a shock to the handful of spectators when Lincoln took the lead. Read pounced on a clearance from slate around half the length of the field to slip the ball past W Taylor, who was late in coming out. This was Lincoln first real attack. A run by Williams brought a second goal from the visitors, again all against the play. The winger drew the home defence out of position by shaping for a centre, and then slammed the ball just inside the right with his left foot, Taylor going down too late.

Goalkeeper’s mishap

Denaby continued to exert much pressure without making any impression, until infielder a long shot from Fred Smith, slate split is left hand. He had to have the wound dressed at the Fullerton hospital and took no further part in the game, Marklew going into goal. Shortly after Taylor, the Denaby goalkeeper, was in the wars, having a tooth kicked out when he pluckily pulled up another flying Lincoln raid.

Just before the interval Robinson, a right-winger on trial with Denaby, reduced the deficit.

Although facing wind and rain in the second half, Denaby had the advantage of a loose man, and made the most of it stop Lincoln sustain a further misfortune when Watson put through his own goal, and a few minutes later MacPhail cleverly worked the ball round Watson and with only inches to shoot at put Denaby ahead.

Lincoln made spasmodic raids and Taylor, though obviously feeling the effects of the shaking he had had in the first, pulled off some good saves. Towards the end Lincoln felt their handicap keenly, MacPhail adding another goal for Denaby.

Robertson and Carte were the best Denaby forwards, though MacPhail did some good things. Hinsley was very strong at centre half. Mark Lowe was outstanding for Lincoln, both while in his normal position and while in goal, and Sleight inspired confidence up to his retirement. Reid was a dangerous centre forward, quick to take a chance