Denaby Utd – Denaby 4 Pilkinton’s 0 – Only Two Local Midland Leaguers Left

7 October 1932

Mexborough & Swinton Times – Friday 7 October 1932

Wombwell Out

Only Two Local Midland Leaguers Left

Frickley’s Best Score

Denaby and Frickley are left to uphold the prestige of the local Midland League contingent in the F.A. Cup, both clubs securing easy victories in the first qualifying round, while Wombwell lost under rather unhappy circumstances to Yorkshire Amateurs.

Worksop once again proved the masters of Goldthorpe, and Wath fought back well to beat Owston Park after losing an early goal.

Haggar’s Lead To Denaby

Denaby 4, Pilkington’s 1

Pilkington’s did not prove such stubborn opposition as Brodsworth in the previous round, with the result that Denaby continued their cup career with a 4-1 win which might have been a good deal bigger without misrepresenting the Midland League club’s superiority.

For about ten minutes at the beginning of the game Pilkington’s troubled the Denaby defence by their eager raids but there was nothing organised about these attacks when Denaby settled down the tables were turned in no uncertain fashion, the visiting defenders having all their work cut out to repel the methodical advances of the home forward line.

The Pilkington’s goal had two remarkable escapes in the early Denaby attacks. The first was when Walker from two yards’ range shot with Abbott apparently well out of position. The goalkeeper, however, managed to get In the way of the ball and it rebounded into play. A few minutes later Abbott smartly taught and cleared a similar shot from Seth King. Denaby kept up the pressure but it was nearly half an hour before they opened their account, HAGGAR running inside to score through a crowd of players. Four minutes later HAGGAR scored the best goal of the match. He took the ball in his stride, ran on past Hunter and drove in a right foot shot for the far corner of the goal which had Abbott beaten all the way though it was delivered front 20 yards’ range.

Just before the interval KING ran through the disorganised Pilkington’s defence to score Denaby’s third goal, and incidentally the first he has obtained before the home crowd.

ADAMS put on a fourth for Denaby in the second half and EVANS scored for Pilkington’s near the end. Denaby’s half-back line again played a big part in the team’s success, but the forwards showed good form though Black spoiled a goad all-round display by poor shooting. Both wingers were good, with Haggar perhaps the more satisfactory. Siddall has a habit of trying to do a little too much before parting with the ball. Walker worked as hard as ever and also contrived to show that is a much more polished footballer than we had at first suspected. Diggles was not impressive as in previous games and once or twice used his fists when he could have cleared more effectively by catching the hall. Pilkington’s were an energetic combination with Julian the outstanding individual. He led the forwards with dash, got in several good shots and with better support would probably have scored more goals.

 Calamity at Hough Lane

Wombwell 2. Yorkshire Amateurs 3

Wombwell were dismissed from the F.A. Cup by Yorkshire Amateurs under circumstances as demoralising as one can imagine. Two hours before the kick-off the bailiffs were in possession of their ground and the match was started under conditions that depressed everything and everybody.

The Amateurs won, not so much by virtue their own ability as on account of the frame of mind of their opponents. Moreover, Wombwell’s luck was dead out. The referee on one occasion (after long reflection) refused to allow them what seemed a perfectly good goal.

Still, Wombwell’s failure was duo more than anything to their own failings. Two of the Amateurs’ goals—notably the Iast—were presented to them gratuitously by a shaky defence. To see the team go down after hating two-thirds of the play did not inspire hopes of n revival. Yet many of the supporters remained behind to give sympathetic ear to details of the crisis and among them nearly £4 was raised by a voluntary collection.

The Amateurs brought a strong team and a big following. Their left back was the amateur international, Woodcock, while at centre-half they had the England amateur reserve Oxley. Wombwell had to make several last minute changes, Spooner being at inside-left and Bridges (who seemed far from fit) taking over at centre- half.

Wombwell had the wind at their backs in the first half and pressed from the outset, Roylance and Woodcock soon showed strong and capable backs. The Amateurs goal was almost constantly under pressure gbut Dyson had no hard shots to stop. However, the first goal fell to Wombell after 10 minutes, HAWKINS snapping up a chance following a misunderstanding between the Amateurs’ backs.

More scoring chances were wasted, and clever passing between Craven and Kelly ended in SIMMONITE equalising. The Amateurs were fast and keen but their methods were unorthodox.

Wombwell ought to have been three or four at the interval.

Parkes scored for Wombwell just after the resumption but for some reason the referee disallowed the goal. Appeals by the players led to his consulting the linesman but without effect on his decision.

A moment later the referee awarded the Amateurs a corner when it seemed their own man had kicked the ball out. And, as luck would have it, a goal resulted, KELLY scoring after L. Jones had failed to clear. Wombwell seemed to revive after this and DAWKINS pat the scores level.

Another defensive slip gave the Leeds side the winning goal. Bridges let S. Craven in and Dobson failed to stop his centre, and SIMMONITE scored.

 Wath Defy Early Set-Back

Wath 2, Owston Park 1

After being almost overwhelmed, Wath recovered so well on Saturday that they had eventually little difficulty in beating Owston Park 2-1, a result which was hardly a fair reflex of the play. Wath made an early attack and then, after only five minutes, a fortunate clearance gave SMITH a clear run and lie easily heat Hadlington. This quick goal gave Owston Park confidence and for almost an hour afterwards Wath were struggling on the defensive and rarely out of their own half. They appeared all “at sea”: nothing went right with them. Half the team were limping through minor injuries and J. Finney had to be carried off. Wath, however, struggled on courageously and their efforts were rewarded when BATES equalised through a brilliant effort. To the interval it was a ding-dong struggle, the exchanges being even, but afterwards play became one-sided.

Playing capital football, Watts laid siege to the Owston Park goal where Bryan was called upon time after time. He gave a splendid display and could not be blamed for letting through a hard drive by BROADHEAD after 15 minutes. It was he alone who kept Wath’s score down; his colleagues were almost powerless to stop Wath’s eager forwards.

Wath’s second half performance came as a pleasant surprise; a complete change from their earlier play. Bates and Broomhead were the schemers forward with J. Hadlington and Goodman as capable assistants. Ellis, on the right wing, never got going. J. Finney, at centre-half, was in the wars. Twice he had to be carried off but pluckily resumed. His work was sound, while Dennis and Shepherd did well after making some early mistakes. C. Finney and Winstanley were rather shaky at the start but later recovered and defended strongly. Hadlington in goal made some capital clearances during Wath’s bad time in the first half. Smith, lat centre-forward, was the most dangerous Owston Park player. Bryan, in goal, was also outstanding.