Denaby Utd – Denaby 5 Scarborough 1 – Hit 5 But They Might Have Had More

January 1957

South Yorkshire Times, January 26th, 1957.

Denaby Hit 5 But They Might Have Had More.

Denaby United 5 Scarborough 1

Denaby United returned to the winning trail against Scarborough at Tickhill Square on Saturday, when they completed a ‘double’ against the seasiders, whom they had beaten 5-2 in September, but United must have been surprised at the comparative case with which they won the game.

This 5-1 victory must have been refreshing to United, following the 11 goal battering at Grantham, but they could easily have reached double figures, so lethargic was the play of the visitors.

Denaby Secretary-manager, Mr. Matt Taylor, was not entirely satisfied with the display of the home with Egan at outside right. ‘They did not do enough shooting; even if the ball goes over it does not matter, Scarboro’ got their goal by shoot like this. We played about and passed too much in the penalty area’ he said .

Scarborough never recovered from Denaby’s third minute goal when MARKWELL scored after Egan had headed back Lambert’s centre. Four minutes later Denaby scored a second when Derek HOLMES shot hard past Clamp.

A Livewire.

Martin was a livewire in the home attack and was constantly troubling the shaky, Borough defence. Scarborough’s best effort was a 20 yard drive by Parkinson, which failed to register.

LAMBERT increased Denaby’s lead to three goals in the 25th minute, but just after the resumption Alan PARKINSON reduced the arrears when he rounded Barnes, and beat the advancing Williamson. This goal keeps him at the top of the Midland League scoring list.

This Scarborough goal did not inject any punch into their attack and Denaby went further ahead through goals by MARTIN and LAMBERT. Martin was unlucky not to score from several drives which just went wide.

It was not a very happy return to Denaby for ‘Borough’ keeper, Alan Clamp, although he could not be blamed for his side’s defeat. He made several grand saves. A Mexborough lad, Alan was playing his second game for the seaside team.

He played for Denaby reserves last season.