Denaby Utd – Denaby 6 Notts Forest Reserves 3 – Nine Up!

February 1906

Mexborough and Swinton Times February 17, 1906

Nine Up!

Denaby United 6 Notts Forest Reserves 3

last season Notts Forest Reserves were one of the medical took four Midland League points out of Denaby United, but whatever may be the result of the encounter between the teams at Nottingham in April, Denaby have already improved on last season’s record by defeating Notts Forest at home.

Saturday’s match was a game of nine up, which Denaby won by six goals to three. It was played on the ground that had suffered much from rain and snow, and it attracted a miserable gate, considering the importance and attractiveness of the fixture.

Denaby included Torr, vice Nimrod, was unable to play, and the visitors had a very good side

The Forest won the toss, and Denaby kicked off, Heppinstall immediately putting in a brilliant run, only to shoot wide. Forest replied, and Holmes placed wide. A quick run and centre by Lindley change the venue, but Torr could do no better than shoot yards off the mark. Again Denaby returned, Lavery being foul when in full cry. The free kick came to nothing, but subsequently Torr swung in a brilliant centre, which went to Palan, who cleared.

Denaby assumed the ascendancy again, and Waverley ran through, to find Baker bringing off a clever save. Heppinstall the next minute grew very close with a fine low cross drive. At the other end the centre by Whitchurch, Needham missed a very simple chance, barely a yard from the goalkeeper. A run by the Denaby left saw the ball go to Docherty who gave Denaby the lead with a terrific shot. The Notts goal was again pressed but Baker in quick succession cleared shots from Lindley and Docherty.

Forest forced a corner, and Pike was just wide with a fine attempt. The sun now came out and bothered Denaby, whose defence for a time was severely tested, Hancock clearing shots from Needham and Whitchurch.

A corner to Denaby and a good shot from Tour give the Forest defence anxiety, but the ball was quickly transferred to midfield. Forest Preston Needham was going through when Arnold fouled him. From the penalty Whitchurch equalised, but Laverly immediately give Denaby the lead again turning a beautiful centre from Lindley into the net.

At half-time the colliery club led by two goals to one.

Resuming, Forest were the first to show up

Denaby again took up the running, and Lees put on therefore school, Holmes testing Hancock with a lovely shot, while the next minute Needham shot wide with a good chance. Denaby replied and Docherty scored.

Forest run up and Whitchurch struck the upright with a hard drive. Chapman missed an easy chance from the rebound. Holmes also shooting weakly in a subsequent attack.

Denaby again took up the running, and Lees put on their fourth goal. Baker, the Forest goalkeeper, now distinguished himself with a sequence of cover saves, but he was eventually well beaten by Docherty who notched Denaby’s fifth goal.

The Forest never gave up trying, and a fine passing run by the visitors culminated in Whitchurch scoring. The same player permits later put on forest third point, Hancock Avenue out and left an empty net.

Denaby now press and force a couple of futile corners. The home defence when tried was it about very uncertain, but the Forest could not score and Denaby went further to the front, Lavery easily beating Baker with a swift shop.

Denaby now held the upper hand to the finish and eventually ran out winners by six goals to three.