Denaby Utd – Denaby 6 Scarborough 0 – When Denaby Win- They Really Win !

26 December 1959

South Yorkshire Times December 26, 1959

Six Goals In The Mud

When Denaby Win- They Really Win !

Denaby United’s six goal frolic in the mud of Tickhill Square on Saturday brought to an end a sequence of seven matches without a win. Visitors from Scarborough wilted under almost continuous home pressure and powerful men in this heartening Denaby’ revival were wing halves, Hirst and Mourne whose tireless foraging laid the foundations of victory.

It was a joy day too for bearded Denaby inside-forward, Brian Slater, who was a hat-trick marksman in this welcome Christmas box for the home fans.

Denaby brought in reserve wing-man Roy Hatton in place of France. Swirling winds and treacherous condit!ons greeted the teams.

Denaby had an early tilt in attack, but Hatton stumbled on the Waterlogged turf to spoil a promising movement.

New Poise

Discovering a new poise after their spell in the wilderness the home club dominated the play in the early stages and it came as no surprise when SHAW opened the scoring in the 20th minutes. His rising shot from 25 yards flashed past the Scarborough keeper.

Denaby were in sharp-shooting mood, spurred on by the happy Combination of Hirst and Bourne, and went further ahead after 30 minutes. A swift exchange of passes down the left flank between Guest and Friel heralded this score. FRIEL’S fiery cross-shot sped into the corner of the net.

The goal glut continued with the Denaby forwards in full cry. SLATER raced through the hesitant Scarborough defence after 38 minutes to screw his shot over the head of the advancing keeper He made the Denaby tally four six minutes later when he robbed Marshall as the Scarborough ‘keeper floundered in the mud, unsuccessfully endeavouring to gather a loose ball.

Rasping Drive

The pattern continued as before on the resumption, although the rugged visitors’ wing half, Moore, bravely attempted to arrest the tide. “Seasiders’ ” centre forward, Brown, brought Davey into action with a rasping drive from the edge of the box and Whittle was only narrowly wide in a brief attacking spurt.

When play swept to the other end Marshall saved twice in rapid succession from Shaw and Slater. SHAW added a fifth goal for Denaby after 55 minutes after a volley of shots had been charged down and SLATER completed his hat-trick in the 78th minute. evading the ‘keeper’s desperate dive to rocket the ball into the net. Teams:

Denaby United: Davey; J. Williams, Foster; Hirst, Johnson. Bourne; Hatton, Guest, Shaw, Slater Friel,

Scarborough:     Marshall; Perry, Myers; Moore, Simpson. Bentley Fowler. James, Brown, Whittle. Stewart.