Denaby Utd – Doncaster Rovers 0 Denaby 1 – Denaby Return with Two Points

March 1905

Mexborough & Swinton Times, March 25th, 1905.

Denaby Return with Two Points
Doncaster Rovers 0 Denaby Utd 1

Denaby on Saturday visited the Intake ground, and not withstanding their being without Lavery for quite three parts of the game, and Doncaster strengthening their team by the inclusion of Almond (Sheffield United), and McIntyre (a valuable recruit from Blackburn Rovers), were successful in obtaining two points, and what is more, deserving them. The weather was all that could be desired, and no doubt it had something to do with the fairly large gate, there being quite a couple of thousand spectators, including a good number from Denaby, who, throughout the match, made their presence known by cheering the lads in red.

Doncaster won the toss, and set Denaby to defend the entrance goal, against wind and sun. The Rovers got down, and Whittaker missed a good opportunity by shooting over. McIntyre just afterwards striking the side of the net. Keeping up the pressure, the last-named player forced Lawley to give a corner, and from the flag-kick Almond sent in a clinker, which Hancock just managed to send over the bar. United’s goalie was having his work cut out just now, saving another hard shot from Crowcroft and McIntyre.

Play then became more open, and at last Denaby had a look on, but Lavery finished up some good work by shooting weakly, and Nimrod, whilst in a splendid position, did the same. Whittaker got away in the right, and pressed a futile corner, and the Rovers soon had to get back to defend.

Lavery was going nicely, and was just in the act of shooting when one of the Rovers’ defenders, accidentally, as far as I could see, knocked him out, and he had to be carried off the field. Doncaster transferred to the other end, and forced a couple of corners, and Whittaker gave Hancock a teaser, which the goalie safely negotiated. This brought us to the interval.

At the re-start the Rovers at once bore down on Hancock, McIntyre shooting wide, and the same player had hard lines with a shot striking the upright. The United halves, however, were gradually wearing out the sting of the Rovers’ attack, and Hawkins tested Daw, who also received from Nimrod. Lindley sent in a couple of fine centres, but his efforts were thrown away, no one being up to support him. Narraway had a try. Lavery now made a re-appearance, and sending across to Lindley, that player forced Birch to give a corner. Torr did the same, and Daw partially saved. Tomkins missed his kick, and obstructing Daw, the goalie allowed the ball to run through his hands. Lavery again had to leave the field, and was off for the remainder of the game.

The Rovers tried hard to equalise, but they were rarely dangerous as far as shooting went, United having quite as much of the game as the homesters. Hosey missed a good opportunity, and it looked as if a centre of Lindley’s which caused a scrimmage in the Rovers’ goal, mouth might have led to something, but Daw managed to clear.

Play of a give and take character brought the game to a conclusion, the score reading:
Denaby United 1 goal
Doncaster Rovers 0 goal

Doncaster: – Daw, Birch, Butler, Tomkins, Roberts, Pember, Whittaker, Crowcroft, Almond, McIntyre, and Law.
Denaby: – Hancock, Welsh, Lawely, Chadfield, Hawkins, Torr, Lindley, Nimrod, Hosey, Lavery, and Narraway.
Referee Mr. H. P. Lewis, Rotherham.