Denaby Utd – Firbeck 3 Denaby 0 – Sheffield Senior Cup Final – Firebeck Main get the Cup

March 1935

South Yorkshire Times March 15

Sheffield Senior Cup Final
Denaby upset
Firebeck Main get the Cup – Second-half goals

Firbeck Main 3, Denaby United 0

Denaby United were overthrown by Fireck Main in the final on the Dinnington Athletic ground on Saturday by three clear goals. To some extent Denaby had only themselves to blame for in the first half, when they were decidedly the better team, they were inclined to take things too easily. Considering the differences in class, the victory for Firbeck was all the more creditable. The winners gave a gallant display and certainly revealed more spirit and – than their opponents. A crowd of over 2000 saw typical cup tie football which, with exception of a few incidents, was uninteresting to watch.

The Denaby side could not be described as a weak one, McPhail, at inside left, and Hinsley at inside centre, who have been responsible for good work in recent matches, again appearing. Boot, the Denaby left halfback, is a Dinnington youth.

Firebeck did not give an outstanding display, but always took the advantages of scoring opportunities and showed excellent defensive tactics. Denaby combined better but although the attack frequently penetrated the Firbeck defence the forwards missed their chances and on a number of occasions failed to support McPhail, the ex Wednesday player, who was outstanding.
Denaby won the toss and Firbeck quickly attacked. A rapid move into the Denaby goal area, however, was smartly checked by Burkinshaw, who intervened on a number of occasions in the first 10 minutes when the ball was scarcley ever out of the Denaby half.

Firbeck were aggressive, particularly on the left. Dean cleared from McPhail and sent the ball back to the Denaby end where Stevens gained possession and passed to J Sheldon, who beat W Taylor, but the goal was disallowed for offside.

Denaby settled down and for a time harassed the Firbeck defence, but Tye saved the only dangerous shot, which came from Lowe and the corner was successfully cleared. Denaby were unlucky not to go ahead, and on one occasion the ball struck the Firbeck bar. McPhail, who started several fine moves, past neatly to Lowe, but the latter was given offside when presented with a glorious chance to score.

From a throw in by Knowles, Stefan centred and W Taylor smartly cleared. Denaby were the more methodical team and despite the keenness of Firbeck it was evident which was the more polished side. On the other hand the Firebeck defence put in some strong work, one occasion, however, Tye almost let the ball past him when it bounce awkwardly, but it missed the post by inches.

Denaby gave a sparkling display during the opening stages of the second half, Smith, Lowe and McPhail figuring in a good movement. The situation was finally relieved when Carte was ruled offside.

Stephens gave Firbeck the lead after 10 minutes after receiving a spun the centre from J Sheldon. Denaby went straight down but Tye and his backs were to sound and Denaby were repelled

Stephens was responsible for Firbeck second goal which came 15 minutes from the end and two minutes before time J Sheldon got the third goal from Moores pass.