Denaby Utd – Frickley 2, Denaby 1 – Fate Turned Against Them,

26 October 1957

South Yorkshire Times October 26, 1957

Frickley 2, Denaby United 1

Denaby must feel that Fate has turned her hand against them in F.A. Cup ties with Frickley, for since the war the Colliery have reversed the role of bogy team held by their neighbour. United must have been more convinced than ever on Saturday that they are to be deprived of success at South Elmsall, for, in an exciting finish they equalised within two minutes of Frickley taking the lead and then had their run in the cup ended with a last-minute goal.

Before this a goalless draw seemed inevitable.

The Sudden Burst

Then the bombshell burst. A low centre from Wilkinson was driven into the net by Bainbridge, who was waiting three yards from the goal line. Denaby surged to the attack and were on level terms two minutes later. Lee was fouled and Southall score from the penalty

The goals were just needed to rouse the enthusiasm of both teams and spectators after their previous disappointments. Full-blooded action was seen as the teams responded to the encouragement of their supporters. Typical cup-tie football was now being seen, with a thrill a second, and Frickley sent their supporters into raptures by getting the winner a minute from the end. Lambert successfully completing a quick raid to put his old team out of the cup. Denaby made a last desperate fling, but the Frickley defence held out grimly.

Most of The Thrills

Most of the excitement was seen in the second half. The exchanges were even before the interval, but they were marked by an absence of good shooting. Denaby were handicapped after half an hour when outside-left Lill was injured in a collision with Taylor and retired. He resumed after the interval but limped on the wing.

Despite the handicap Denaby had a fair share of the game, and they were unlucky when Mellows saved a certain goal by heading away off the goal line. Before this escape, however, Denaby had been just as lucky on two occasions when Wilkinson and Lambert each missed an open goal by shooting wide and over. On the number of chances Frickley just deserved their success, although they will have to take them better if they are to make further progress in the cup. Outstanding players of both sides were goalkeepers Vairy and Smethurst. Both made, many fine saves after the forwards had got on the mark, the Denaby man especially showing remarkable agility for his size. The defenders earned more medals than the forwards.

The attendance was 1,600 and the receipts £115.