Denaby Utd – Northwich Victoria 3 Denaby 1 – Looked Like World-Beaters, Then Collapsed

November 1955

South Yorkshire Times Nov 5, 1955

Looked Like World-Beaters, Then They Collapsed.
Denaby Utd’s Cup Side Went Down Fighting But Failed To Find Punch.

Northwich Victoria 3 Denaby United 1

For the first 20 minutes of Saturday’s F.A. Cup qualifier at Northwich, DENABY UNITED looked like world-beaters and were distinctly unfortunate not to be leading by more than one goal.

Then Northwich equalised after a defensive blunder and the South Yorkshire side collapsed. They went down fighting, but failed to produce punch in their opponents’ penalty area and rarely looked like hitting the target again.

So once again United are out of the F.A. Cup at the final hurdle before the first round proper (Northwich are drawn with Boston in the first round).

They are out principally because their inside – forwards over-elaborated against a vigorously-tackling defence and because their own rearguard men were guilty of momentary errors which were immediately turned to advantage by the Nothwich forwards.

But there was no doubt that the game’s best goal came from POULSON. Duggan sped away on the right wing and crossed a perfect head-high ball. Poulson saw his chance and, diving full length, nodded the ball well out of Deaniels’ reach. Time 18 minutes.

At this point United were far faster on the ball, their wing-halves were spraying passes out with pinpoint accuracy and their wingers were flinging across many fine centres.

Defensive Slip.

Not unnatural, perhaps, that they should be disheartened when Northwich broke away to equalise. Mortimer took a free kick in midfield, Barnes and Southall left the bounce to one another, but ADAMS nipped in and drove a ground ball underneath Williamson’s diving body.

It was still against the run of play when Northwich went ahead after 36 minutes. Adams dashed through and slipped a short ball to BARBER, who appeared to be in an off-side position. But Barnes touched the ball en route and the referee waved Barber on and he scored easily.
In the second half, the more confident Northwich got on top and enjoyed more of the play territorially, but were able to score only one more goal, in the 68th minute. Hulligan cut in from the right and shot hard; the ball deflected off SOUTHALL’S shins past Williamson.

General opinion of Denaby was that they would be an acquisition to the Cheshire League.

Northwich had not expected such a good footballing side and appeared to underestimate them at the start. Best footballer afield was right-winger Duggan, closely followed on the Denaby side by the industrious Southhall and Gillott. But Barnes had a mixed day and finished up by having his name taken.

Northwich Victoria: Daniels; Williams, Mortimer; Robinson, Hobson, Hodges; Hulligan, Brown, Barber, Adams, Burns.
Denaby United: Williamson; Hague; Cooper; Southall, Barnes, Gillott; Duggan, Morgan, Holmes, Poulson, Flynn.
Referee: Mr. F. Mills (Manchester).

Attendance: 4,624 (£361).