Denaby Utd – Rawmarsh Welfare 2, Denaby 0 – White makes Picture Goal

21 February 1970

South Yorkshire Times, February 21st, 1970

White Whips in and Lays on a Picture Goal

Rawmarsh Welfare 2, Denaby United 0

The difference between the two sides on Saturday was a matter of inches. Rawmarsh scored two goals, but Denaby twice hit the woodwork in retaliatory attacks and finally had a genuine looking goal ruled out.

With so much at stake, and in such trying conditions, this local ‚Äúderby” could have degenerated into a desperate muddy feud, but instead we had a fluency of football that would have graced a fair surface.

The difficulties of the playing surface were amply illustrated in an unbelievable mix-up in an attempt to move the ball from the edge of the Rawmarsh penalty area. Eventually the ball was sent scudding away, but it was impossible to say who was responsible.

Defences gave nothing away, and Short and Farish showed superb handling whenever the ball came through. The brothers Brian and Tony Lowe and Bill Sanderson for Rawmarsh and Sapey and Pettit for Denaby played manfully.

Minus Three

Various ailments had robbed Denaby of the services of Toyne, Bennett and England, and although their deputies played well enough, a winger in the class of England might have made up the difference on Saturday.

Surnpner gave Murfin lots of trouble on the right flank, but White restored the balance cruising down his wing and creating panic in the Denaby defence.

Mick Wassell rattled his sabre but Farish pluckily dropped on the ball at his feet, and was injured for his courage. Then White looked to have scored, slipping his man he drove the ball into the near top side-netting. But Denaby went closer when Morley dropped his head to a Sumpner cross after 32 minutes and the ball smacked against Short’s left hand post.

Rawmarsh did not even bother to say thank-you, and instead took the lead just before 45 minutes were up through Albert Schofield. White crossed and Schofield moved in rapidly to shoot home from close range.

Got Better

The game got better in the second half, as both teams found it easier to string passes together. Pettit stormed through the middle only to be robbed at the last, and Short tipped over a brute of a centre,

Then Pettit outjumped a clump of defenders to head against the bar: There was a frantic manoeuvring for position as the ball hung in the air but it was cleared.

But Rawmarsh were saving everything up for the grand finale. David White who can slip into the magnificent as easily as he does into the ridiculous suddenly produced a goal in a 100.

Collecting the ball in his own half he ran in direct line for goal disdainfully beating four men then slipping the ball past Farish. It looked as if his genius would he nullified by the mud as the ball rolled agonisingly to a halt, but Wassell beat Grey in a race hit the ball home and careered into the net.


That was after 85 minutes, but there was still time for Bowden to score with a superb diving header only for the effort to be ruled out for off-side. A curious decision considering the ball was crossed from the dead ball line.

Rawmarsh had brought on Hibbert for Scanlon, and Denaby substituted Grey for Wiggles.

Rawmarsh: Short; Cooper, Mur-fin; Whyman, Lowe (B.), Sanderson; Scholfield, Lowe (A.), Wassell, Scanlon, White. Sub: Hibbert,

Denaby: Farish; Wiggles, Allen; Pettit, Harvey, Whitehead; Sumpner, Willey, Morley, Snapey, Bowden. Sub: Grey.

Referee: K. D. Breese. Rotherham.