Denaby Utd – Rotherham United Reserve 1  Denaby United  4 – Denaby’s Double at Millmoor

12 September 1930

Mexborough & Swinton Times – Friday 12 September 1930

Denaby’s Double

Rotherham Defeated at Millmoor.

Rotherham United Reserve 1  Denaby United  4

For a second time Denaby defeated Rotherham United Reserves on Saturday. The game was at Millmoor, and Denaby won 4-1.

The “gate” was affected by the attraction of the Sheffield “derby” and of the Doncaster and Rotherham United game at Belle Vue.

Denaby were worthy winners. Rotherham scored through Lievesley in the first minute of the game, but despite this handicap, and that Gilchrist was off the field for half an hour in the first half owing to an injury to his head Denaby were full of confidence and their forwards were by far the more dangerous of the two.

Gilchrist, when he returned to the field just before the interval with his head in bandages, played clever football, and, with Fisher, made an exceptionally lively wing. Gilchrist signallised his return by firing in three great drives, the second of which resulted in a goal. His gallant play was greatly applauded by the crowd. Jones was an enterprising leader, and held the line well. The forwards were splendidly backed up by the halves, and the whole team showed a spirit and dash that should carry them far in the Midland League.

Rotherham gave a lamentable display, and the team was surely one of the weakest that Rotherham have ever fielded, despite the inclusion of Freeman, the new full back from Middlesbrough, who gave a splendid exhibition. The half-back line was exceptionally weak, and a heavy burden was thrown on the two hacks. Dobbs and Thorpe were unable to hold the dashing attacks of the Denaby wingers, and Andy Smalley, though he distributed the ball fairly well, was not quick enough for Jones. The forwards were fairly good in midfield play, but their shooting was yards wide of the mark in many instances.

The crowd fairly howled when Parkin, at centre-forward, had the goal at his mercy, and he placed the ball over the bar. He was only about three or four yards from the goal line, and he could easily have tapped the hall into the net. Hackford, the former Wath forward, made some fairly good runs on the left wing, and Lievesley’s passes generally found their mark.

LIEVESLEY scored for Rotherham in the first minute, the ball rebounding from Brannon against Hackford’s legs and back into the net. SMITH equalised for Denaby from a corner conceded by Chapman, and a the goal by GILCHRIST gave them the lead.

Denaby’e second half goals were both scored by JONES.


Rotherham: Ward; Chapman, Freeman; Thorpe, Smailes, J. R. Dobbs; T. Evans, Lievesley, Parkin, Murden, Bedford.

Denaby: Brannon; Ashall, Williams; Hughes, Smith, Mountney; Fisher, Gilchrist, Jones, Vollans, Skeels.

Referee: A. W. Briggs (Derby).